04 ram cold start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kris95neonspt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm new to this fourm and have been haveing this problem for a few months and tried to figure the problem out on my own with no luck my issue is when it get extremely cold out like 10 or below my truck will not start up it just fast cranks but will not fire I have to play with the gas peddle and crank the shot out of it to where dome times it kills the battery and have to jump it off another vechile but once I get it to fire it idles and runs just fine no issue what so ever no check engine light comes on or anything and when it like above 10 degrees the truck will start right up also when it's really cold out and won't start once I do get it to and it warms up it will run that whole day with no problem until I let it sit over night again pretty much has anybody had this same issue and how did you fix it I'm lost and need advise I don't want to be left stranded in my truck somewhere thanks

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Do you hear the fuel pump cycle when you first turn on the ignition? I would try turning the ignition on for about three seconds and the quickly turn it off and back on for another three seconds a couple of times to get fuel pressure up. Then crank the engine to see if it starts. If it just cranks, then push the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it while cranking. Holding pedal down is the clear flood mode and cuts of the injectors. Good luck..

OP
OP
K

Kris95neonspt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah I can hear the pump kick on and while cranking I can smell the fuel from it flooding out I have done the pedal to the floor thing and still no luck just cranks and pops and backfires it wants to start but won't and it has been so bad sometimes that I have killed the battery trying to get it to start it only does it in extremely cold weather like yesterday morning when I gut home it was 11 degrees out few cranks and fired right up day before it was -3 and would not start killed the battery trying to get it to start finally did get it after about 20 mins of messing with it and cranking the **** out of it only related info I was could find was about the throttle body maybe going bad evern tho I have no check light or that etc on could that be my issue I do know the person before me put a jeep throttle body on the truck before I bought it cause the bore was bigger or something like that anyway has it happen to anyone else on here that the etc went bad but only gave a fit it extremely cold weather something about cold start fast idle is what caught my attention about it maybe being my issue

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Sounds like it is indeed flooded. Pedal to the floor cuts the injector so the only other source would be through the purge valve. I have not heard of this before but I would pull the purge vacuum line and cap both hose and manifold. See if that has any affect on starting. This is the 2nd hose on driver side behind the TB, smaller of the two hoses.