05 Dodge Ram Hub Assembly MASSACRE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Banks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, thanks for looking and trying to help first of all. Okay now onto the problem. I drive a 05 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7 HEMI. Has a 4 inch lift and sits on 35s. I have a feeling that whoever owned this before me did some shotty work on it. When they lifted it, they jacked up the ebrake line and other little things. Needless to say, Im here fixing it now.

PROBLEM:
Steering wheel vibrates like crazy on and off and when I go 65+mph my truck shakes like it's convulsing... Not sure about the shaking part yet but I know the vibration has to do with Hub Assembly and bearings. No problem, ive done it tons of times on old ranch pickup trucks. Easy fix right? Wrong!!!!

I jack up truck. Remove brakes, rotor, caliper. I cant get to the three bolts on the back because CV axle is preventing me. Okay well lets remove CV axle, done it before shouldn't be hard... Okay so I try to pop it off from inside but wont compress enough. I disconnect upper control arm and bam it has room and comes off now. But now the CV axle is seized inside my hub assembly and bearing. This is where im lost and stuck at. How can I replace hub assembly if I cant get to the bolts? CV axle is seized. I've smashed it 200 times with a sledge and wont budge. Ive been told to have it pressed out at a shop but I cant remove steering knuckle because cv axle in way of lower ball joint. Every problem has its solution but the solution is a problem to.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP. Im pretty good at working on trucks but dang this easy fix is killing me. ANY advice is welcomed. Please and thanks

Respectfully,

Cody Banks
12/5

OP
OP
C

Cody Banks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
update

update on hub assembly massacre.

I decided to try the passenger side. Everything Ive heard tells me passenger side is easier to do for some reason. Take tire off, brake and caliper. Rotor comes off easy. I tapped the axle with a sledge to see if it moves, it did. Go under and pry it off almost all the way. Disconnect upper control arm. Now CV axle popped off on inside and smacked with a sledge and it came right out. Undid the three bolts on back of hub. Heated the hub up with a torch and took me about 5 minutes to smack it off with the sledge. Its all corroded and rusted and just horrible. Wasn't bad, total time for passenger disassembly is about 45 minutes.

Back to the driver side problem child. Friend and I took two torched and set them on the cv axle spindle where it comes out of hub. We heated until it glowed red. Then we smacked with sledge 20 times. Did this repeatedly about 5-10 times and final the CV axle dislodge and came out. Undid the 3 bolts on back of hub assembly and now for the hub assembly. We torched the hub assembly and smacked with a sledge. Had it facing to where it looked like steering wheel turned right and smacked from rear angle. After 30 or so hits it popped off. Finally.

My repair parts on this project will be.... New Lugnuts (10) up front. New tire spacers 1/4 inch both sides. New Hub assemblies both sides. New brakes both sides, new rotors both sides. New upper control arm and Upper ball joint both sides. New outer tie rod ends both sides, new dust cover both sides, new shock absorbers both sides, REBUILT cv axles both sides. Dropping tons of money into it but hopefully it is worth it in the end.

If anyone has a question about this process, Ill be more than glad to give you advice.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Since you are doing so much, I would also replace the lower ball joints to complete the front suspension.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never seize the **** out of everything you can get your hands on when it goes back together. I had a hell of a time doing the passengers side on mine also.

OP
OP
C

Cody Banks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you are doing so much, I would also replace the lower ball joints to complete the front suspension.

trust me I want to but I don't have a joint press. Ill look into the pricing

OP
OP
C

Cody Banks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought new Moog lower ball joints. Got a press from advance auto to borrow. Everything went back together quite easily. Only problem Ive had now is that my CV axles don't want to stay on the stub shaft coming out of the front differential. I think im missing the C-Clips/Snap Rings. Ill figure it out.