1 tire fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Morganstruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, the other day I street raced my co-worker form a dead stop. When I took off I was spinning like crazy! Looked in the rear view mirror and only seen tire smoke coming from the right rear tire? My truck is an '08 quad cab hemi lone star edition With 3:92 lsd. I still beat him. ( he has a '13 Hyundai velociter turbo automatic) after the race I went driving my truck around to see if I could get both rear tires to spin, only time I could do it, is when I was turning left, that is when the back of the truck wanted to pass the front. Never had a 3:92 rearend do this before. Could it be the clutch pack is going bad? It also makes noises going over bumps like something is rattling around. I haven't pulled the diff cover off yet to see if anything is broken or what not, just really seeing if anybody else has or had the same issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks..

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you sure you have limited slip installed?

OP
OP
M

Morganstruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, I took the vin to the local dodge dealer where I used to work. And had them pull a the option list that was optioned for my truck. I think it's something in the rear, I put it on the lift where I work now and manually spun the back tires and you can hear metal grinding. Can't hear while driving.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pull that cover off and take a look. I have seen a lot of the retaining clips for the clutch packs break. The clip will slide out and can damage the axle housing and cause a big problem if not caught in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be but the c-clip holds the axle in. Never seen one of those just fall out on a 9.25 and you would know if it did.

OP
OP
M

Morganstruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bet, well I know what I am doing tomorrow. Haha!! as soon as I get a chance I will let y'all know what happened. Thanks for the info!!

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Pull that cover off and take a look. I have seen a lot of the retaining clips for the clutch packs break. The clip will slide out and can damage the axle housing and cause a big problem if not caught in time.

IDK about 1/2-tons, but since that's a factory LSD, would it not be a clutchless helical-gear type in 2008 MY?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IDK about 1/2-tons, but since that's a factory LSD, would it not be a clutchless helical-gear type in 2008 MY?

1/2 tons are different. The 9.25" rear end uses a clutch driven limited slip. Never seen a single problem with the gear type limited slip.

OP
OP
M

Morganstruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I had time to pull the diff cover off. Ring and pinion look to be fine. The spider gears on the other hand either have damaged teeth, or have teeth missing.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
is that from burnouts around corners?

OP
OP
M

Morganstruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, I do agree with an upgrade.right now I have it parked until funds are available. Sucks!!! I couldn't tell you if it was burnouts around corners?? I bought the truck used so it's no telling what the original owner did to it. So I am back in the '88!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 63

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can just replace the spiders... Or look into a no-slip lunchbox locker. Those probably are the two cheapest options.

OP
OP
M

Morganstruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry so long responding, a lot going on here. Yeah I might take you up on that carrier bro.