2002 Ram 1500 4x4 rear end growling loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

premiere9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rear end in my truck is making a very loud growling sound. I removed the cover and found this piece in the oil. Just wanted to know if anyone knows what it could be. I do not want to take it in as I am sure the shop will tell me the rear end needs replacing. If this is true, then I will. I just do not want to be taken advantage of.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. The key is for size detail.photo(13).jpg

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The rear end in my truck is making a very loud growling sound. I removed the cover and found this piece in the oil. Just wanted to know if anyone knows what it could be. I do not want to take it in as I am sure the shop will tell me the rear end needs replacing. If this is true, then I will. I just do not want to be taken advantage of.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. The key is for size detail.View attachment 36512

It's smooth and curved? looks like a piece of a bearing race. If that was in the pumpkin, then sorry to say, but it's likely it needs to come apart. Did you put the rear on jackstands and have someone turn the wheels slowly to see if any teeth were chipped or pitted? I would drain your fluid. If you have a lot of shavings or more chunks in there... gotta have that rear end rebuilt. Sorry, prolly not the answer you were hoping for.

** I've been there 3x in my jeep :(

OP
OP
P

premiere9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bearing

Yeah. thats what I thought it was. So should I replace the rear end or just the bearing? What is entailed in replacing the bearing?

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You need to inspect all the components. If you have a lot of shavings, then you likely need to replace all the bearing & races. A master overhaul kit should have everything you need as far as bearings, etc, go (but you gotta check to be sure).

On my D44 outta an '08 Jeep, I took everything, and I mean everything apart. Pulled all bearings & races. Disassembled carrier and replaced clutch packs (limited slip), replaced all bearing cups (races) and bearings. Be sure to check the pinion bearing. If a lot of shaving got up in there, the bearing won't last long. If you have not taken a diff apart, I would (at minimum) have a buddy with me that has done it before. Everything has to be put back exactly as it came out and in the D44 the proper pre-load on the crush washer/sleeve is needed of the pinion bearing is toast.

I haven't opened up my trucks axles and hope not to have too for the life of the truck (only has 3300 miles). You might be able to salvage the gears... at least for a while. Good Luck and keep us updated.

... btw, if the growling / grinding is getting louder fast, don't wait too long. If the diff ceases up while you're driving, it could be catastrophic. There is no time frame I can give you. When I took mine apart, I reused the gears (only very small pitting) and the pinion bearings because the kit I got was not the overheaul kit, only the master install kit and I didn't have time to wait for the additional bearing and cups. But 2 years later, the grinding came back. I pushed it on mine until the rear started jerking a little. Scared the s^$% outt me and drove it straight to the 4x4 shop to have it ALL replaced.

alex 904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That looks like the clutch pack retainer for the chunk ive done quite a few rear end rebuilds and a bearing piece woouldnt present like that. Is it a 9.25 with the lsd in it