2008 Ram 1500 has issues in 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nerak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So her 4x4 mode saved me in the storm this year in Colorado, but at the end of the storm I noticed some problems. For instance, when I reverse and try to turn in 4x4 she brings herself to a stop, I would try to give it more gas (thinking I was stuck in a snow pile) but she seemed like something just wasn't giving it the oomph to keep going. I eventually had to put it in 2WD to reverse. Similarly if I'm trying to park in a spot to the left or right while in 4WD she damn near stops herself again, I'm not sure if something is getting caught or if there's rubbing, bad parts, or anything. 2WD runs like a champ.

Anyone have ideas? No major sounds from hell, maybe some thudding, but I couldn't really hear much at all.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's very hard on a 4wd system to have it engaged and try to make sharp turns when you have traction. In a part time 4wd system everything kind of locks together and when you turn sharply it doesn't let the tires turn at different speeds like they need to. The fact that it would stop itself when turning leads me to believe you weren't on a loose/slippery surface but had 4wd on which will make everything bind up.

Last edited: