5.7 Trans swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just got my 2005 towed home. The transmission went to junk. I'm gonna or ahead and just replace the trans. I was wondering if any body has done an trans swap from an automatic to an stick. Any ideas of an trans to use? Is there any direct replacements?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The manual swap has been done a few times but normally for people looking for a trans to handle bigger power.

Parts you will need
One NV4500
One 5.7 to NV4500 bell housing
One 5.7 flywheel
One clutch and release bearing for a 5.7 engine with manual transmission
One ECU for a 5.7 with manual transmission or flash PCM for a manual
One transfer case that will bolt to the NV4500
One clutch kit
One ***** and master cylinder
Two drive lines front and rear or you can have them shortened

I have not done this swap myself, but this is what I could find off of Google for past swaps.

A junked or rebuilt 545 is pretty cheap, might be something to look into as it's a popular trans and the only difference between any of them is the tailshaft depending on 2wd/4wd and that can be reused from your truck.

OP
OP
05Ram1500_5.7hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Now with the Computer. How do you go about flashing it? Is there a plug and play tuner that'll do that or am I gonna have to find a shop capable of doing that.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Get a Diablo programmer and have a CMR tuner do the tune for it or you can send the PCM to a company like Arrington and they can program the PCM and send it back to you.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You forgot the clutch pedal and support bracket that need to be welded in and if the truck is equipped with the adjusting pedals you need to source the adjusting clutch pedal with mounting bracket.