Alarm System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

I have a couple questions pertaining to the security system. I only got one key & fob when I bought it. I see I can program a fob if I have a working one. So that is no problem. I see I must have 2 working keys to program a new key. That will be a problem. I guess my only choice is to take it to a dealer, unless anyone has some good info.

also, even if I just unlocked the truck with my fob, I have to press unlock again just before i crank it, or the alarm goes off. has anyone seen this?

I would not mind just turning the alarm off, but I have not seen that option.

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I paid around $125 for a second key and programming at a dealer. Only got one with the truck also. I called a number of dealers and price shopped. Found one about 15 miles away in a small town that doesn't seem to take ****** the customer as their primary purpose. The others wanted $175+.

Same dealer charged me $25 to read the ABS codes on a 2nd gen. All the others wanted $100 plus.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OUCH!!!! I was thinking it might be $75. (and I also thought that was expensive!!)

Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Home Depot by me has a locksmith that comes in once a week that has the equipment and access to cut and program the key. It cost me $85. The key looks like the oem , but without the rams head. Ask around

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
KEYs

Hi All,

I read somewhere that most 2004 Dodge Rams DO NOT have transponders in the key's. That was an option. So I went and had three keys made at $1.80 each. They work fine. I like $1.80 a key a lot better than $175!!!!

Here was my plan if it was a transponder key. (Maybe this will help someone else) Get the cheap non-transponder keys for $1.80 each, then take my one transponder key I have and wire tie it up under the dash near the steering column. Then all the cheap keys should work! I don't know how close the transponder key needs to be to the SKIM module...If wire tying it under the dash did not work my second option was going to be tape it under the steering column with black duct tape.