Battery Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. for the last few months my battery has been draining. ive had to hook it up to the charger at least 5-6 times in the recent few months. i dont leave the lights on, and all my electronics are basically stock. i have an optima red top battery, and its been nothing but a pain in the ass ever since i got it. if the truck sits for a day, its on the verge of not being able to start the next morning. this is very common for me due to my 24/48 hour shifts at work.

what are some things i should look for? gonna check the alternator tomorrow. is hooking up the multimeter to it and looking for 13.7 volts the best way? or should i do something different? ie take it into autozone or someplace to have it tested.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Check the battery with the meter to see what the volatge is. After you start the truck check it again for the alt to be charging it. Could just be a cell going out.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
like you said check the alternator, check the battery.

NJDodger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Shut off everything you can in the truck, radio, interior lights, cell phone chargers, ignition off with no key in, doors closed, hood light unplugged, etc. Disconnect the positive cable from your battery and hook up a multimeter set to measure DC Amps between the cable and the battery. You should be seeing very little current. If you are seeing current flow you probably have a short. You can then start narrowing it down by pulling fuses or disconnecting accessories. If you pull a fuse and the current draw drops you found what circuit the short is on. Hope this helps.

I know in my Jeep I had a bad relay on my Hella 500's that was drawing current all the time but not lighting up the lights. It was enough to drain the battery if the Jeep sat for 2 or 3 days.

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Problem solved! Turns out I'm an idiot. Figured out that my tranny temp gauge was hooked up to a constant 12v source. Hooked it up to an ignition source in thee fuse box.. It's been good now for a week.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
thats good that it was something simple

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
glad you got it figured out

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also found out that I have a year left on the warranty on this optima battery. I could swap it out at the place I bought it.... But...... The problem with that is the guys at 4 wheel parts over here are douche bags. They wanted to keep the battery for at least 48 hours to test it.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
48 hours? It shouldn't take more than 2 tops. And that's recharging a completely dead battery

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

cakeboss81

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I'm completely new to this because mine has been doing this recently. Had to jump mine off a few times in the past few weeks. The cab&hood lights seem to be doing the draining (05 ram1500 5.7 v8)