Beware of "Bars Leak Stop"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I used Bars a few months back when I couldn't find my coolant leak. I never wanted to use it, but had no choice at the time. It ultimately caused my water pump seal to fail and caused a cold water leak, the pic below is my water pump that was original with the truck. It still functions properly, but the seal is bad, I think I'm going rebuild and keep around.

d4710bb8d6918b17debe567921ec343e.jpg

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It works for me when a temp fix is needed. Anything in a bottle or can is a temp fix, but I always establish the cause of the problem before use and always replace the water pump after fixing the problem when an stop leak products are used

OP
OP
SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Well my leak didn't show itself till it got bigger and over filled the HVAC box or I would have never used it.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used it alot on our pump motors when they spring leaks... when pumping water for the rice fields turning the pump off is not a options and they will automatically turn off if coolant level drops to low.
We use bars leak alot on the trouble motors, there is one every year and it works great.... biggest trick to it is to add it very slowly and at temperature, we always add it while running. so far never had a problem but we also service the motor and the problem once the season is done. But its by far never a permanent fix.

OP
OP
SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Used it alot on our pump motors when they spring leaks... when pumping water for the rice fields turning the pump off is not a options and they will automatically turn off if coolant level drops to low.
We use bars leak alot on the trouble motors, there is one every year and it works great.... biggest trick to it is to add it very slowly and at temperature, we always add it while running. so far never had a problem but we also service the motor and the problem once the season is done. But its by far never a permanent fix.

Well... it works for some, but I'd prefer not to replace my water pump and whatever else on a yearly basis. I knew how to add it properly, but after seeing what happened to my water pump there is no telling what it's done to my water jacket ports and radiator. I never expected it to be a permanent fix and I flushed it out about a month later when I changed the heater core.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
How did you figure out it was the pump? I used it in mine when the side seal went in my radiator, it never really sealed it and now have a new one but have thought about having it flushed out as I've had other overheating issues, wonder if my pump is junk now too.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
How did you figure out it was the pump? I used it in mine when the side seal went in my radiator, it never really sealed it and now have a new one but have thought about having it flushed out as I've had other overheating issues, wonder if my pump is junk now too.

I had a "cold water leak" down the front of the motor. I thought at first that I had 2 leaks - one in the front and one in the back, but it was just (run off). I cut my old heater core in half and all the fins were caked with Bars. I'll never use it again.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I had a "cold water leak" down the front of the motor. I thought at first that I had 2 leaks - one in the front and one in the back, but it was just (run off). I cut my old heater core in half and all the fins were caked with Bars. I'll never use it again.
Don't think there's anything leaking from the pump, sometimes I can smell antifreeze from the drivers side when I shut the truck off and get out and it smells hot from the radiator area, how bad is the heater core to do? Not sure I want to tackle that. But lately think I've noticed and increase in heat when I'm downshifted on a hill or something and the temp gauge drops a bit.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Don't think there's anything leaking from the pump, sometimes I can smell antifreeze from the drivers side when I shut the truck off and get out and it smells hot from the radiator area, how bad is the heater core to do? Not sure I want to tackle that. But lately think I've noticed and increase in heat when I'm downshifted on a hill or something and the temp gauge drops a bit.

The heater core replacement is a fairly major job. I just did it at Christmas. Actually, I replaced the heater and A/C evaporator cores, four of the five doors with Heater Treater doors, vetted all the actuators and the A/C recharge. Unless money is tight, I would do all that-or at least new plastic doors. You don't want to go back in there for a long time.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Ya thats what i thought, and ya money is always tight but i would like to do preventative fixes and stop being stuck beside the road.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Unless it's critical to do now, I would gather parts a little at a time and do it when you had (say) a three-day weekend. It took me 2 1/2 days, but I had hell with getting the A/C lines apart/re-connected under the hood and missing two screws in the dash brace to steering column mount. I forgot to mention I also replaced the evaporator line with the orifice tube as part of the job. And that line (on a Hemi truck, anyway) meant I had to remove the air box AND the inner fender liner to access two retaining screws from underneath to remove the air box bracket blocking the A/C line QD.

I ended up stripping the dash down to nothing because a video omitted the dash screws. So re-assembly time really added up. But I learned from it and now know it could be done in a long day.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Ya I'd like to do it for the same reasons, the experience and the know how, just had time off using up the last of my vacation time but money controls everything, I don't usually get to collect parts someone always has their hand out so parts are usually well warn out before I get to replace them. Ha ha.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Same situation for me. I've got to replace the timing chain cover gasket, so while it's open, I'm replacing the entire timing chain/tensioner assembly, oil pan gasket, pump and pick-up tube. Just got the pan gasket and pump, so far. And I may want to look at the pan, since I've read they're bad to rust. And then wait for the right time.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well no ****. I even tell the poor ignorant people at work (Walmart) to NOT use Bars Leak. I can't stand the thought of causing someone $500+ worth of work on their vehicle.

I tell em that unless there is absolutely no way they can park their car til it's fixed and that they know there is a possibility for another failure, don't run it.

OP
OP
SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Well no ****. I even tell the poor ignorant people at work (Walmart) to NOT use Bars Leak. I can't stand the thought of causing someone $500+ worth of work on their vehicle.

I tell em that unless there is absolutely no way they can park their car til it's fixed and that they know there is a possibility for another failure, don't run it.

For your info, I was in ETX and had to get home. I had a feeling that it was going to cause some issues, but had no choice, I was losing water and couldn't find the leak until I got home.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Well i wish you all had said that before now as ive used it in the radiator last year ( since been replaced) and now just used it in the oil cause the pan gasket and maybe rear main are leaking and working two jobs cant have it apart or down for any length of time and as ive stated before money rules everything.