blown motor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07_rAm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Need some advice. I have a 07 ram 1500 w/a 5.7 l hemi. Im pretty sure I blew my head gasket this weekend. The truck shut off and will turn over but wont start. It doesnt have and water in the oil but is spitting water out the exaust when I try and crank it. I have a couple questions. First, is my motor toast, or can I fix the problem by just replacing the head gaskets? If it is trashed what would be the easiest and cheaper route? Completely overhauling the motor or finding a used motor and just doing a swap? Also, are there any other options I may have?

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should (key word, should) be able to have the heads machined and install new gaskets.

OP
OP

07_rAm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You should (key word, should) be able to have the heads machined and install new gaskets.

Can I go to any motor repair shop to do this? Also, any clue on about how much the machine work will cost. Ive never had to do this before but I got quoted $4600 from a local engine shop.

OP
OP

07_rAm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
$4600 for a complete motor rebuild.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why don't you try and get a FULL engine from a salvage yard? Around here I can get a full engine swap with a used unit for under 2K$. Much cheaper than the full engine rebuild.

It all depends on the budget you have, how is the rest of the truck, etc.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you done a compression check yet? Water out the exhaust is not an indication of a blown head gasket. It simply means your catalytic converter is operating properly. Now, if Anti-Freeze is coming out your exhaust, you may have a problem.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Did the engine over heat? Definitely need to do a compression test. Are you loosing coolant? Head gaskets IMO are very robust.
Taking heads off is not a big deal. I was changing valve springs and seals, lost air to the cylinder dropping a valve into the cylinder and had to take of the passenger side head off this morning. Case of not paying attention has cost me some extra work. ugh...
Z1fj9q.jpg

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wouldnt keep trying to start it either.. Do as stated above, compression check and go from there. Did the truck over heat? Were you rompin on it or how do you think you blew a head gasket?

OP
OP

07_rAm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
According to the temp gauge the truck never ran hot that I saw but that dont mean anything. I was just driving along, nothing crazy at all. The engine started clattering and vibrating then shut off. When it happened all the coolant leaked out and since I was on the side of the interstate all I had was a gallon jug of water so I poured it in and it took all of it. I would assume thats what poured, not just leaked, from the exaust. But it did have that sweet smell like coolant. I havent done a compression test on it yet, guess I should do that before jumping to conclusions. What should the compression be on each cylinder?

OP
OP

07_rAm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am also considering picking up a motor from a salvage yard and doing a swap. The rest of the truck is in great shape. Just spent $1500 on new 35" nittos a month ago.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
According to the temp gauge the truck never ran hot that I saw but that dont mean anything. I was just driving along, nothing crazy at all. The engine started clattering and vibrating then shut off. When it happened all the coolant leaked out and since I was on the side of the interstate all I had was a gallon jug of water so I poured it in and it took all of it. I would assume thats what poured, not just leaked, from the exaust. But it did have that sweet smell like coolant. I havent done a compression test on it yet, guess I should do that before jumping to conclusions. What should the compression be on each cylinder?

I'd be willing to bet you've got more than head gasket problems.. Most vehicles will run with a blown head gasket, they just run like crap. Sounds by what you describe here something broke.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Typically look for around 150 psi, the key being all of them with a similar reading. The odd low one being the problem. If the truck was an older model I would guess it dropped a valve probably from a broken valve spring. Being a 07 there are timing chain problems reported.

OP
OP

07_rAm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah the noise I heard can never be good. At this point I think im going to hunt around at a few salbage yards. I appreciate all the help

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
You need to determine what the damage is to make the appropriate repair.