A.C. Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03Blackride

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I own an 03 Dodge Ram with a Hemi motor. For the first time since I purchased it new, my a.c. is giving me problems. I'm not an a.c. man and I can use some help. My a.c. pump keeps kicking in and out and blowing warm air. I checked all the fuses and relay, and they appear to be fine. I tried charging the system and the gauge needle keeps moving to the left, then back to the right, then back to the left continuously. Any suggestions as to what to check on and how? Thank you, Tommy.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Either overcharged on freon or bad condenser fan. Could also be both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

03Blackride

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Either overcharged on freon or bad condenser fan. Could also be both

It was never charged since new. This is the first time I'm experienced any problem. Perhaps the problem may be with the condenser fan. Any ideas on how to check it? Thank you, Tommy.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can check for power on the connection plug.

OP
OP

03Blackride

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I finally got to check to see if the condenser fan motor wire connector has voltage. It does, just over 13 volts I think it was. With that said, I assume the motor needs to be replaced? Do you agree? Thank you, Tommy.

OP
OP

03Blackride

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, the voltage is there and the fan is not spinning. So, I ordered a new fan motor from RockAuto.com. I'll post the outcome after I receive and install the new fan motor. Thank you very much, Tommy.

OP
OP

03Blackride

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The new motor was delivered today. I removed the original motor today from the truck. I compared the two, the new one is not a good match. I again researched the Rock Auto website part listings. I checked the 2004 listing. For what ever reason it is a good match. The original that I removed from my 2003 Dodge Ram has a threaded shaft and locking nut. The 2003 motor that was delivered does not have a treaded shaft. It has a pressed in slotted spring pin on the shaft with an aluminum Tri-Star shaped plate that looks like the plastic fan sits on with a slot for a "C" shape lock washer. Rock Auto sent the correct motor for my 2003 Dodge Ram, however, for what ever reason, the original motor that I have must have been replaced by the Dodge Dealership a while back with a later model assembly. So, I will be sending the new motor back to Rock Auto for the 2004 matching one. Probably at my expense since it's not their fault. I will keep you informed of what happens. (Lesson Learned) Remove original before ordering to compare pictures. Thank you, Tommy.

Last edited:
OP
OP

03Blackride

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Finally got the problem resolved. I ended up purchasing a condenser motor from Oreilly Auto Parts. Installed it and the a.c. works. Tricky install. Had to notch out a portion of the plastic fan housing to get the job done without breaking the fit on the hose. Thank you very much for your outstanding support, Tommy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452