Can anyone identify this sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
So for a couple days now when I apply the gas I hear what sounds to be a bearing on it's way out, but when I let off it goes away. After chocking and jacking up the rear it sounds more like excessive gear play. My u-joints are good, I changes the fluid in both diff's about 10K ago and with having the 9.25 LSD I added the LSD additive along with the amount of diff fluid and weight the manual calls for.

I'm not super savvy with diff's so I don't know if this is what ring and pinion chatter sounds like or something more.

As always any and all help is greatly appreciated. Video link below, sorry for the bouncing around, I was trying to get on the ground...

https://youtu.be/DtKACIyRMnA

KPietriyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yikes! I thought mine sounded bad before I rebuilt it. Definitely needs a rebuild, just a matter of what you'll find ground up in there when you take the cover off. I was lucky enough to get mine done for free under the pinion nut recall.

OP
OP
SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Yikes! I thought mine sounded bad before I rebuilt it. Definitely needs a rebuild, just a matter of what you'll find ground up in there when you take the cover off. I was lucky enough to get mine done for free under the pinion nut recall.

Everything looked good when I did fluid change and no noises till here recently.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first '01 sounded similar to this just before the rear end locked up on me at low speed in a parking lot - one of the clutch disks for the limited slip pack had broken free and wedged between the ring/pinion gear and caused a tolerance issue which ultimately caused a total failure of the pinion gear.

I won't say that is exactly the issue you have, but it does sound very similar...

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, mine was the gears grinding apart because of the faulty tolerance with the extra material between them, and since the extra material was in just one spot, it was a sound that would come and go every rotation, like what you are hearing. My guess would be gears. But, that is just a guess, which is about all I can do over the internet...

OP
OP
SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I guess I'll buy a rebuild kit with new gears and be done.

Sent From the man lurking in your bushes...