Can't start with spare key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramownersfriend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am posting this for a friend who doesnt have internet access.

He has a 2002 Ram 1500 and recently misplaced the ignition key at my house. We cant find it.

He has a spare key he has tried but it just starts the engine for a second or so then the engine dies.

I have googled for a solution but find mostly threads on killing the alarm when it is going off.

Will someone please advise me on what we can do to get the spare key to work, or what other options there are to get it running

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It sound like his spare key was just cut for the ignition and not programmed for the Sentry Key immobilizer.

I'm not positive that the 3rd gens had Sentry Key because my 04 SLT didn't. But, Chrysler was using the system at that time on the higher trim levels of other vehicles and the behavior you described is textbook for a key that doesn't authenticate. If the head of his working key was gray, it's definitely Sentry.

Be careful trying repeatedly because if it's like the other Chryslers of that time period it will lock permanently and require a trip to the dealer.

OP
OP
R

ramownersfriend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the response. It sounds like we will need to load the truck on our car hauler and take it to the dealer anyway. We live so far from a locksmith I dont thin thats even an option. I was hoping I could just take the vin and spare in to a dealership or something
\

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How many times have you tried to start it? You keep doing that without a correct mates chipped key and you'll lock the PCM...they have to match it to your SKIM. If you've locked the PCM they have to plug in and unlock it.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
My 03 1500 Laramie has a chip key, only came with 1, Really need to get a second one made at a dealership. Prices to get a second chip key made varied by $70 and dealerships near me. I wonder what book time says for it?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 03 1500 Laramie has a chip key, only came with 1, Really need to get a second one made at a dealership. Prices to get a second chip key made varied by $70 and dealerships near me. I wonder what book time says for it?

Doesn't matter, you'll get charged at least an hour's minimum labor. If you find yourself around Baltimore I can do it for you. Dunno if it would be worth the cost in gas lol.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Doesn't matter, you'll get charged at least an hour's minimum labor. If you find yourself around Baltimore I can do it for you. Dunno if it would be worth the cost in gas lol.
Haven't been there in 25 years, thanks but cost of gas would be way too much.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Haven't been there in 25 years, thanks but cost of gas would be way too much.

Thought I'd offer. Depending on how much of a hurry you're in I go to NJ on a fairly regular basis.