Clean Evaporator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

I recently bought a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab. I has 206,677 miles on it and desperately needs some TLC.

I have bought all new lube/fluids. So far I only have the oil changed, but will flush/refill radiator. Drain ,change filter, refill transmission. Drain & refill transfer case , Drain & Refill front & rear differentials. I will also change the brake fluid and replace the Pads & Rotors. I bought a set of platinum plugs for it too.

It makes a lot of noise under the hood. The A/C pump is shot. I will put on a new A/C Pump and accumulator and new serpentine belt, tensioner and idlers.

I put a new aftermarket rearview mirror on the driver’s side (It was broken) and replaced the missing A-Pillar trim on the passenger side.

The truck was VERY dirty, looks like it has been in a dusty environment quite a bit. The interior had thick dust everywhere. It makes me wonder how dirty the evaporator may be. Especially since they usually have condensation on them while running. I plan to remove the Blower and see if I can shop vac then blow out the evaporator. Has anyone done this? Since it has a drain I may also spray some fantastic on it at rinse if it looks real dirty. Any thoughts on that?

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Evaporator coil

I took the blower motor out, hoping I could get a little access to the evaporator coil. No such luck. After I got the rest of my A/C going I thought the blower did not blow very hard so I checked the resistor block. When I removed it a few leaves came out with it. I stuck my finger up in the hole and could touch the evaporator coil. It felt like velvet from the thick coating of dust. The dirt was thick at the bottom of the plenum too. Though it was just a ~1 ½” X 3 “ hole I was able to do a pretty decent job cleaning it. I used a old toothbrush (I had to cobble an extension onto the handle), laid under the hole with a flashlight and brushed the whole surface clean. Then I got an 1/8” brake line, made a special blower attachment for my air compressor blow gun, and blew the whole coil out. I again laid back and used the flashlight so I could see that I was going up and down each set of fins. I put the resistor block back it (It needed a good cleaning too) and turned on the air. I big cloud of dust came out the vents. I does blow much harder now. I sure it will cool better too.

P.S. The brake line air gun mod is about 10” long with a 90 degree bend on the end so you can blow straight through the coil.

mikehutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted an exploded view and some other pics in this thread of the 3rd Gen HVAC.

http://www.ramforum.com/f76/blend-door-removal-write-up-12723/

There should be a drain under the evap core so make sure it's clear and draining. With that you can use fluids to help as it should drain out. They do make a foaming spray but i've never used it before so can't comment on it's usefulness. Google "evaporator core foam cleaner" and you'll find a few different brands in the links.