complete front bushing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an '04 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.7 hemi. I just replaced the front hub assemblies and cv axles. I noticed that the ball joints and sway bar end links need the bushings replaced. Is the Energy Suspension brand complete kit the way to go? I will only replace the existing bushings with polyurethane bushings. Also is the complete kit vehicle specific?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I have an '04 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.7 hemi. I just replaced the front hub assemblies and cv axles. I noticed that the ball joints and sway bar end links need the bushings replaced. Is the Energy Suspension brand complete kit the way to go? I will only replace the existing bushings with polyurethane bushings. Also is the complete kit vehicle specific?

You'll need a press to get the bushings out... it's cheaper and easier to just replace the complete arm. It will come with with bushings and a ball joint.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are thinking about doing lower control arm bushings, do like he ^ said. Buy new control arms. Comes with new bushings and ball joints already in them. Trust me when I tell you, trying to replace lower control arm bushings is not something I ever in my lifetime want to do again. Ever lol. By far the biggest pain in the ass I've ever dealt with.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys! I have a press and all necessary tools. I have had the lower arms off before and it didn't seem that bad except for the amount of time it took. I was just wondering if there was a complete polyurethane bushing kit specific for my truck or if I had to order the bushings by the part they're for. (Sway bar, sway bar end links, bump stops, etc.) After researching further I have found you are correct that it is cheaper to buy the whole control arm with the polyurethane bushings. (I have found the uppers, but not the lower control arms.) Thank you for your time!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get the lowers from Rockauto.

And yeah we had a press too. And an entire Freightliner shop with every tool you can imagine in there. Nothing would get those control arm bushings out. The control arms were flexing before the bushings even moved. Ended up having to torch the rubber out and hacksaw and chisel the metal sleeves out without damaging the control arms. It was absolutely ridiculous lol

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Yeah screw that.
The parts aren't *that* expensive.
Time is money. And blood and skinned knuckles. So much easier to just replace the entire arm instead of dicking around with removing the bushings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45