Coolant Drain Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had my truck for just over three years and I haven't drained and replaced the coolant yet. So I would like to do this soon, however I have no idea where the coolant drain valve is on the 4.7, can anyone guide me to where it is please? Also, as for coolant, is there any type of special brand I should look for? Or is a universal coolant fine?

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
use dex-cool, it's what GM uses in most of their newer vehicles. As far as draining it I wouldn't drain it from the rad, just do a full system flush. Simply detach one of the heater core lines and pop the cap off the rad. Start the truck and stick a garden hose in the inlet of the rad, run water into it till the fluid coming out of the heater line looks like clear water. Then start adding coolant, as soon as the fluid coming out looks like coolant reattach the line and top off the rad.

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Heres where the drain **** is on my 5.9 on the bottom of the radiator towards the middle left if your looking up --
coolantflush2.jpg

I've done the coolant flush a few times already and it easy as pie. as for cooolant just get the mopar coolant.

and as for coolant flush try the Prestone Super Radiator Flush.

Last edited:

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
i put the green **** in when i did the water pump
screw dexacool

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Our cooling systems were designed to run dexcool, I personally will always stick to what is recommended by Mopar/Dodge after all they made the vehicle I'm pretty sure they know what their talking about when they say to use it.

Reactions: s-s

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
dodge also didnt want led tails, hid's lifts, short bed single cab cummins, air horns, forced induction, badass exhaust and intakes, emissions ect.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol, I'll take a look where you are saying johnny and see if I can see a similar type of valve..

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bingo.

So, basically just open it up, drain the old coolant out, throw the coolant flush in there (keeping the valve open), then should I run water through it after or just close the valve and insert the new coolant?

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Did no one see what I posted? I do those flushes on a daily basis at work and we don't use some freakin fancy ass prestone kit or ne thing and it works just fine.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw it I just need to know how to do this first..then I'll set myself on a brand

btw, where would i bring this **** lol..the local dump?

Last edited:

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Bingo.

So, basically just open it up, drain the old coolant out, throw the coolant flush in there (keeping the valve open), then should I run water through it after or just close the valve and insert the new coolant?

1) with engine off and cool, remove radiator cap.* Drain radiator then close draincock and radiator cap.
2) Pour entire contents of Prestone® Super Radiator Flush into radiator and fill with water.
Run engine with heater on highest temperature setting for 10 minutes after reaching normal operating temperature.
3) With engine off and cool, remove radiator cap, drain radiator, and close draincock and radiator cap. Refill with water and replace radiator cap to fully closed position. Repeat step #3.

make sure you wait around 20-30 minutes for it to cool before draining.

then you can refill it with half coolant and half water run engine for 20 minutes to mix coolant/water.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will do, thanks for the step-by-step process, I appreciate it!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Check it again after you have finished everything and its cycled a few times to make sure its full.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a tad old, but I should suggest only putting distilled water in the cooling system and not using any cleaners or additives.

What is the capacity of the cooling system? I want to flush and fill mine.