Cruise control help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rc26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was attempting to use cruise control today and it would not stop accelerating. It took the pedal to the floor and would not stop until I disengaged it. I would set it anywhere from 60-75 mph and it would take it up to 90 before I had to shut it off.

Any ideas on what would be causing this?

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I have had an issue where the cruise would increase my speed by like 5 at a time but never that much... hmm... definitely interested in this... hopefully someone chimes in with some help!

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It could be that the set button is getting stuck to where the contacts remain touching. Seeing as how the set and the increase speed are both the same button, that would be the first thing I check. If you can get it apart, try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser.
I would also trace the wires and see if there is a short in them.

Edit: I also heard the if your ABS is not working, the cruise will not work right...actually, not at all; it might be worth checking your ABS and associated fuse(s).

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rc26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be that the set button is getting stuck to where the contacts remain touching. Seeing as how the set and the increase speed are both the same button, that would be the first thing I check. If you can get it apart, try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser.
I would also trace the wires and see if there is a short in them.

Edit: I also heard the if your ABS is not working, the cruise will not work right...actually, not at all; it might be worth checking your ABS and associated fuse(s).

Unfortunately, my set and accelerate are two separate buttons. On the left up is "on" down is "set" and the right side of the steering wheel has accel and decel.

I just ran a scanner for any codes, and it came up clean. I'm in the process of replacing my brake rotors and pads right now, but I will address the cruise issue after.

Hopefully it is covered under warranty.

OP
OP
R

Rc26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update:

Just got truck back from dealership. Had a bad cruise control ecu and servo. Both replaced under warranty.

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Glad they were able to identify and replace the failed parts AND under warranty. WIN!

OP
OP
R

Rc26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I'm glad I got it. I had the option not to get the extended warranty, and me being rather stingy, almost denied it because of the $20 a month payment.
Luckily I went ahead and got it, because being a relatively high mileage vehicle (112k miles) I have used the warranty twice and have come out on top both times. So for anyone considering the extended plan, I would definitely recommend it.