External Fuel Pump , Reg and new Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daytona#4595

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.8 L stroker
Hi all,
A couple of things for my 2005 Ram Daytona 4x4 6.1

A. External Fuel Pump
B. New Diff Gears

I need to replace my fuel pump in my 2005 Ram 1500 Daytona with my new 6.1 Beast and hate dropping the tank. I am thinking to drop it and switch to an external Fuel Pump and regulator and an external filter assembly.
I have read up on the bulk head fittings and they are pretty simple.
Any brands that work better than others?
Has anyone had any leakage issues with them?
I am thinking to install two an6 bulk head fittings in the top of the tank.
One for pickup and one for return. I will set the pickup strainer inside the sending unit support where the oe pump pickup is. I feel this would be better to prevent starvation from sloshing fuel when the fuel level is low.

I am leaning towards a Bosch 044 pump for 2 reasons. They are reliable and if it fails while I am traveling I can easily find one to replace it.
Any comments?

My engine is naturally aspirated,
Any recommendations for a pressure regulator?
What Fuel Pressure should I set it too?

Also I want to change my fuel rails so I can install the regulator on the outbound side of the rails.
Any recommendations on rails?

B. Diff Gears
My ft and rear diff are 3.92 and the power curve from the 6.1 could use some shorter gears.
I have 20" wheels with 36" tires
In OD at 70 MPH I only tach 2200

I am thinking of jumping to 4.56 gears ft & rear
Any recommendations on the best Gear manufacturers?

Also can someone with similar tire size and 4.56 gears tell me what they think about them and also what do you tach in OD at 70mph

PS, LOVE the HP from my new 6.1 engine!!!

Thanks,

Rob

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
A. The stock pump can keep up to a 6.1L but if you want you can run a boost-a-pump. You really don't need a major fuel system upgrade for a 6.1L. An external pump will be very loud, keep that in mind. You can run a 255gph pump in tank that will do everything you need and don't need to upgrade anything else. It's a tried and true upgrade with a "small" displacement engine.

If you're set on a full upgrade then any billet fuel rail will work and run an aero motive fuel pressure regulator after the rails. Supply it with a -6an from the tank and a -6an hose returning to the tank from the fuel pressure regulator.

I ran 2 90deg bulkhead fittings that I mounted right through the fuel hat and plumbed the walbro 400 into one and the return line into the other. I'm running an external 10 micron filter and split the pressure line before the fuel rails. I don't run any crossovers since the A1000 efi fpr has 2 inlets. You will run the pressure at 58psi and leave any boost reference ports open to atmosphere. I'm running Arrington fuel rails with 2 not ports but I also ran the billet tech rails before.

Have a look at my build log, I believe I have more details on my setup in there.

B. With a 36" tire you will be much happier with the 4.56 gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk