Fuel pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm still running the original pump, and it's probably close to 10 years old with 110k miles. Is it easier to pull the bed bolts/etc. and slide the bed back to get access or just drop the tank? It looks like there's access to it if the bed was just slid back. I want to replace it before it craps out on me which usually is at the worst possible time.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I've always dropped the tank so I can't say which way is easier. I replaced my fuel pump last winter and had a couple broken lines and fittings because I didn't disconnect everything before dropping the tank. One member on my thread suggested cutting an access panel in the floor of the bed which I thought was a good idea.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bed has 6 bolts in it. I've always thought it was easier to slide the bed back, especially if you have a full tank of gas.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Never done it myself, but I'm thinking similar to 05daytona... 6 bolts and a friends help will get you there much faster, with less risk of damaging other components. Plus with the bed off it gives you a great opportunity to clean up and paint the frame to freshen up your ride.

OP
OP
CorDog009

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never done it myself, but I'm thinking similar to 05daytona... 6 bolts and a friends help will get you there much faster, with less risk of damaging other components. Plus with the bed off it gives you a great opportunity to clean up and paint the frame to freshen up your ride.

I'd do that if I had help to remove it. I'll probably just end up sliding it back enough to get to the pump.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am curious as to why you would want to replace the Fuel Pump if it has not failed?

Do you have bad fuel pressure at the rail?

You could just change the 2 filter pieces (top and bottom) for less if the pump itself is still operating well.

I was thinking of changing the fuel filter on my truck but since it is not considered a "serviceable part" in the service manual, and my fuel pressure at the rail checks out fine I decided not to fiddle around with this.

But if there is a reasonable explanation I'm all hears on why I should consider swapping it.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have found that an in tank fuel pump uses fuel to keep it cool during operation, constantly allowing the fuel level to drop below 1/4 tank, can cause the fuel pump to over heat, which shortens it's life span, causing a premature replacement necessary.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
I like to fill up when it gets around a half a tank. I've done it for years on all my cars. Thought it might help against sucking up dirt or moisture accumulation, but mainly if there was an emergency, i wouldn't have to fill up. Also i have a 1500 watt power inverter in my trunk that can be used as a backup power source if the electric were to go out. Its come in handy on a few occasions. It will run a few items and i have a cord set up at the house to just plug right in. Hope I'm not too far off topic!
My pump is the original one in my 04 rumble bee too! I have an aux pump too, but only because of the supercharger.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
If you didn't check the pressure coming from the lines and you don't have any reason to swap the part, you don't have to. You're throwing parts at your truck for no reason. Unless there is a magic number with a percent of more than 50 fuel pumps failing after x number of miles or years, I don't personally feel you need to change it.

I ran a previous truck for 200+ with the same pump. But, I mean, all to you if you want to switch it. I say off with the box.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I like to fill up when it gets around a half a tank. I've done it for years on all my cars. Thought it might help against sucking up dirt or moisture accumulation, but mainly if there was an emergency, i wouldn't have to fill up. Also i have a 1500 watt power inverter in my trunk that can be used as a backup power source if the electric were to go out. Its come in handy on a few occasions. It will run a few items and i have a cord set up at the house to just plug right in. Hope I'm not too far off topic!
My pump is the original one in my 04 rumble bee too! I have an aux pump too, but only because of the supercharger.

Back in the 70's when gas was hard to get and gas stations closed around 5:00PM, I have always refueled when I hit 1/2 tank just in case I need to get somewhere during an emergency. Unless I am on a trip, I refuel when I hit 3/4 tank, it lessens the sticker shock at the pump!:shakehead:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I've dropped my tank more than a couple of times messing with a custom fuel system. I would suggest lifting the bed as the better of the two methods. But unless there is a reason to replace it then I'd leave it alone.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I always drop the tank, this makes it easier for me to clean the tank out before I put a nice new pump in.

OP
OP
CorDog009

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am curious as to why you would want to replace the Fuel Pump if it has not failed?

Do you have bad fuel pressure at the rail?

You could just change the 2 filter pieces (top and bottom) for less if the pump itself is still operating well.

I was thinking of changing the fuel filter on my truck but since it is not considered a "serviceable part" in the service manual, and my fuel pressure at the rail checks out fine I decided not to fiddle around with this.

But if there is a reasonable explanation I'm all hears on why I should consider swapping it.

I don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night or something when it does decide to go out. I've already ordered one..should be here Tuesday. I can swap it out here at the house when I have some spare time and not have to have the truck towed/miss work/track down a pump etc.

OP
OP
CorDog009

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you didn't check the pressure coming from the lines and you don't have any reason to swap the part, you don't have to. You're throwing parts at your truck for no reason. Unless there is a magic number with a percent of more than 50 fuel pumps failing after x number of miles or years, I don't personally feel you need to change it.

I ran a previous truck for 200+ with the same pump. But, I mean, all to you if you want to switch it. I say off with the box.

I've had pumps last well over 100k, and some last 40k. I don't like to wait until something fails before changing it out. The truck is amost 10 years old and I'm starting to replace some things that are going to eventually fail that aren't that much of a hassle to do. Kinda like not waiting until I have a blowout to put new tires on.

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Good for you, that is a very proactive approach. Your truck should last you a very long time. well done.

OP
OP
CorDog009

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good for you, that is a very proactive approach. Your truck should last you a very long time. well done.

Thanks. I rebuild armored trucks for the Army and have gotten pretty picky about maintenance in my 13 yrs in this line of work.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
This has got me thinking if an auxiliary pump could be added in line such as the booster pumps used in super charger installs. And if they have enough capacity to run the engine if the primary pump failed. This would make a fail safe setup for an extreme off road vehicle. Just thinking out loud...

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
I dont know if my aux pump would run the truck on its own. Its all the way up front and a long way to pull the fuel from. It might be able to limp me along to get it serviced though...

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think if I was going to bother removing the box, or dropping the tank, I would investigate a custom fuel system to eliminate the in tank pump so I would never need to do it again.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think if I was going to bother removing the box, or dropping the tank, I would investigate a custom fuel system to eliminate the in tank pump so I would never need to do it again.
It is an option. However, this is potentially the first and last time he does it unless he intends to go another 10 years/100k with this truck. Not sure if it is worth thebtrouble and effort.