Fuel tank vent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitey92Lx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram SLT 1500
Engine
4.7 Magnum
2004 Ram 1500 4.7L Quad cab / 26 gallon tank

I was changing the fuel pump about a month ago and when I lowered the tank down, I snapped off at the plastic nipple on the tank for the line going from the tank to the smaller nipple on the gas filler neck(gas cap). I assume it is a pressure relief valve of some kind. I really would like to fix it but the parts dept. at the dealer is telling me the only way to replace it is to replace the entire tank. :wtf:

Anyone ever have this issue? What can I do to make it right? Right now the tank is venting to the atmosphere.. (bad idea) I dont want this bish to go up in flames..

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
damn i hope you don't have to replace the tank. If that is the case i would start searching local junk yards

OP
OP
whitey92Lx

whitey92Lx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram SLT 1500
Engine
4.7 Magnum
yeah that's definitely my next step.. Luckily Houston is littered with them

OP
OP
whitey92Lx

whitey92Lx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram SLT 1500
Engine
4.7 Magnum
could I bypass the factory vent by sticking a screw into the broken nipple socket and making a new vent by drilling a hole, adding a grommet and plastic elbow and running a new hose (with clamps on each end) from the new elbow to the filler neck line? Or does the factory vent have some sort of check valve in it?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I was actually wondering the same thing.....don't know if there is a check valve or anything

OP
OP
whitey92Lx

whitey92Lx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram SLT 1500
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Here's a ****** picture I took tonight of the broken nipple. It's the hole on the left side toward the back.

62c2be15-54cf-19a5.jpg

sent from my super-dooper futuristic smart phone using tapatalk

Attachments

• broken nipple.jpg
    broken nipple.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 14,587
Last edited:

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would assume that you could do what you said and make a new one, it's just an empty hose specifically for venting, nothing is inside it

OP
OP
whitey92Lx

whitey92Lx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram SLT 1500
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I have a couple of ideas floating around on possibly "rigging" a repair solution for this deal.. I may be able to glue the broken nipple back together with epoxy or jbweld. I know it's ghetto but it may have to do.

OP
OP
whitey92Lx

whitey92Lx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram SLT 1500
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Last night I dropped the tank and superglued the nipple back on. After letting it dry for a few hours (shown in pics) I used some heavy duty epoxy and covered all all of the cracked area.

a6934f66-54eb-1613.jpg
a6934f66-54f7-c3cc.jpg

Last edited:

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hells yeah you did a good job

OP
OP
whitey92Lx

whitey92Lx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram SLT 1500
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I buttoned it all back up and its a done deal..

Tonadodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the same thing. The break looks exactly the same. I fixed it by using quik steel putty that hardens. I putty'd the stem back on and let it harden. I pulled the stem out to create a hole. I then used jbweld on the stem on the break and around the outside to slide back in the hole. Now you can't pull it out. Works great!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok guys I was looking at the pictures and wondering something. It looks too me like that piece is part of a separate assembly and should be able to be replaceable. Now if not the fix you did should last a long time. Now if that is what I think it is then it is part of the fill tube. If you look into the filler tube where you stuff the gas nozzle you should see a small hole. That should be where that part vents to.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I did a similar repair on my radiator vent hose. I drilled into the broken piece and inserted a small steel tube and JB Weld the pieces together. It has held up for over a year.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That should fix it, is there any place to add some zip-ties to that hose and secure it from moving around or wiggling and putting extra stress on that piece?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
That should fix it, is there any place to add some zip-ties to that hose and secure it from moving around or wiggling and putting extra stress on that piece?

Actually I would not zip tie it too anything. Securing it from moving might cause more stress on the hose and connection than if it is left alone. The tank might seem secure but the bed does move a bit and I could bet the tank does too while driving.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Damn, I feel better now knowing that I'm not a total idiot for breaking mine... I'm going to hard setting epoxy on mine, if it worked for you then I shouldn't have a problem, hopefully.

OverKill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
I just had someone replace my fuel pump and when I got it back,my engine light came on. took it to autozone and the code was P0442,indicating a evap leak,, so I got under and found it broke at the same as yours did. I want to epoxy mine too,but cant figure how to get that evap vent line hose fitting off,it has the broke part in it... I tried pushing,pulling,everything under sun... How you get that off ?

RedRamRollin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7l (non H.O.)
I have a couple of ideas floating around on possibly "rigging" a repair solution for this deal.. I may be able to glue the broken nipple back together with epoxy or jbweld. I know it's ghetto but it may have to do.

Don't do this .Monroe did this and the epoxy clogged the port. The one time I let a shop do the work. Now when I fill my tank it shuts off 3000 times because the air won't breathe out . Find a metal or plastic piece of pencil sized pipe that will fit snug inside the fitting and put the broken off fitting slid over top of the piece of pipe and slide the other part into the hole where it broke off. Should fit snug so you won't risk clogging it with epoxy.