Grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and have to start off in the group with a problem. Lol
So a little background, on Sunday I was at my property in West michigan And found a dry looking wet spot. When I switched on my 4×4 all I got was a horrible grinding noise. Sad day when I had to call a tow truck.
When I got home and cleaned things up i tried the 4×4 again and everything seems to be working.
Then this morning on the way to work it starts grinding in the front end. I stopped to have a look and didn't see anything obvious. So I was going to turn around and go back for the car but it went away. After work the noise came back. On a whim I tried the 4wheel drive again and while it was engaged there was no grinding.
Can anyone give me anow idea of what I'm looking at?
Thanks Dave

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it isolated on which side it's coming from? Is it a loud grinding noise or is it more of a squeal. Just trying to help narrow things down.

OP
OP
G

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side. It is loud. And definitely a grinding. Almost like when you run out of break pad. Only it's all the time and braking doesn't affect the sound

OP
OP
G

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not that I have noticed. It starts around 5mph and and doesn't change with speed or with turning the wheel

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your u joints maybe. Typically, I think that they squeak but maybe it's real bad. You could pop the front diff cover too and check that out.

Srsheets86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a faint grinding coming from my front end on my 2014 4x4. Turned out I had to have both CV joints changed and a whole new front diff. The diff shafts were worn out. Don't ask me how... if you want to check, just lay under the truck and grab them and give them a little shake. Mine were really loose at the differential. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well i went an picked up some wheel bearings and u-joint today.
I climbed under and within 20 seconds saw the problem. My passenger cv joint was wasted. That and they gave me the wrong wheel bearings. So they went back and a new cv axle came home.
I watched a video on taking that bugger out and it almost fell out for the guy. Mine wants to hold on for dear life. It got dark and called it a night. Any tips for getting it out?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf