Heat and Heat Vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mega Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 2006 has an issue that I just noticed being cold here in NY. When I put on the heat to come through the vents, no problems. When the heat comes through the defroster, no problems. But when I put in on the floor vents, it comes out through the defroster.

Anyone else have this issue? or know how to fix it?

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something to do with your mode doors. Sounds like they could be broken but the fact that it works on the vents makes me think theyre not. It could be a bad switch?

12RAMSTER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say something to do with your blend door. When you turn it on, are you getting any type of clicking from the dash or one loud thump noise?

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It wouldnt be blend doors, those control temperature, unless he can only get hot air then thats one of his problems. They dont control which vents the air goes to.

OP
OP
Mega Mike

Mega Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No clicking, no tapping, no noises. Heat has no problems what so ever, nice and hot.

You can just hear the air flow transferring from the dash vents to the windshield vents.

ltr450rider13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Dunno bout yours but my 01 did same thing. Found there is something on drivers side. Above pedals next to steering column. Was a canister bout 1-1-1/2 in dia w rod going into it in center. If remember right pull that pin in center out w set to defrost. Bam problem solved.

Hemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is definitely a door problem. This gen is famous for ts issue. There are several internal doors that direct flow through the system under the dash. The one that you are having trouble with is the hardest to fix without removing almost your entire dash and removing the system.

The problem is that the tiny electric motor that controls this door has broken the "axle" and or the splines off the door. Your door when it breaks falls to the 90% defrost/ 10% floor position.

If you have time review the videos located here for more info:

HeaterTreater™

ltr450rider13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine was that vacuum actuator thing. You can watch move when adjusting. Try it before tearing dash off. It worked for me. Got so good could drive and reach up in there and do it.
But have heard the teeth are plastic on the other part as stated and strip/wear out. Good luck.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Could be the switch motor in the dash. The trucks have 3-4 of them depending on year and trim package. Wife needs one in the 05 that I picked up the other day.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've got the same problem, dash and defrost work great...but my toes damn near freeze off.

OP
OP
Mega Mike

Mega Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks guys. I am gonna work on taking the cup holder and the base of the dash apart tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have to go any further than that.

I can see inside the vent, and the doors are not moving. I put a small rod in there and was able to lift the door. Then got blasted in the face with some hot air. Again, I hope I don't need to go to crazy with the dashboard.