Help: Vibration when driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sup3rtallpaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In need of some troubleshooting help from someone who is familiar with 4WD drivetrains.

I'm getting a vibration while driving, and this is about all we can find that might be causing it (without tearing it down of course). Vibration starts at about 35 and gets worse the faster you drive.

I took a video of the front axle that goes from the differential to the wheels. Is this amount of play normal or should it be tighter? I showed my passenger side axle for comparison. Thanks in advance guys!

https://youtu.be/zZCL1iUF9-w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where do you feel the vibration? Thought the cab, steering wheel?

OP
OP
S

sup3rtallpaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where do you feel the vibration? Thought the cab, steering wheel?

Through the cab I'd say. It's difficult to explain a vibration lol but I will say it's not constant. I can tell it's coming from something that rotates and it's vibrating/grinding every time it hits the same spot

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it get worse when you brake? any noises? If so, check your wheel bearings to see if they are going bad.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have jack stands, try getting the front end off the ground, and then start checking for play. Wheels, tie rods, ball joints, axles, etc. With the truck in 2wd, rotate the front wheels by hand and listen and feel for grinding/dragging.

OP
OP
S

sup3rtallpaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it get worse when you brake? any noises? If so, check your wheel bearings to see if they are going bad.

Doesn't seem to get worse when I brake. I am however getting a squeak when I brake but all of my brakes are good. I get an odd noise like something dropping lightly against metal occasionally when I turn the wheel.

I tried to wiggle the wheel while the truck was on a lift to check the bearings but they were tight as far as I could tell. However I do believe you're right. I ordered a new bearing for that side and I'm going to replace it this week.

OP
OP
S

sup3rtallpaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have jack stands, try getting the front end off the ground, and then start checking for play. Wheels, tie rods, ball joints, axles, etc. With the truck in 2wd, rotate the front wheels by hand and listen and feel for grinding/dragging.

The axle wobbles a bit when the wheel is spun. The wheel also seems to have quite a bit of drag on it when spun as well.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The axle wobbles a bit when the wheel is spun. The wheel also seems to have quite a bit of drag on it when spun as well.

Can you tell what is dragging on the wheel? Brakes, hubs, etc? As for the axle, you need to figure out which part has play in it.