I see grease…busted CV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamGentry13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys Im definitely more of a lurker than a poster but im always browsing so i have searched this subject…anyway i was under my truck changing the oil and did a quick inspection and found grease. A good amount of it, and it was coming from my CV joint (i believe). Like the metal "strap" that seems to hold the rubber boot on is covered in it. Its on the driver side on the "strap" closest to the engine. I need to borrow my sisters camera (broke mine mountain biking) and take some pics. Its still driving ok but i can occasionally hear a grinding while turning. :Grenade:
So does this sound like a busted CV joint to you guys?
Im not incompetent with vehicles but im not a mechanic, is this a do-able job for someone to do in there garage?:superhack:
aaand last question, is there better replacement parts yet or should i replace with OEM?
Thanks in advance guys/gals
-Dave

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
pics would be great but sounds like a CV to me . do you have any slack in it ?

OP
OP
R

RamGentry13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im not too sure what you mean by slack…as in my steering? I havent really noticed that, mybe a lil? i just snapped some pics with my sisters camera, ill post up shortly

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I would go with moog and I would think it would be an easy job once you get past the brakes rotor and tie rod ********. Then again it will need another alignment. I'll be honest with ya' un less you have an impact wrench/gun. Your not gonna brake those nuts off the spindle. I tried on a honda civic. w/out the impact. I broke two 1/2 inch sockets. threw it back together and pleaded with a hometown shop to do the work even thou I had the parts. Good luck dude. How many miles on your rig. I see you have the stock shocks, I bet it rides kinda bouncy. Not overly but noticeable.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Will need a pickle fork also for the tie rod ends unless your lucky and can get em to pop out with a soft dead blow hammer.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
I just went through this not long ago. I'll do my best to save you some research and make this as easy as possible.

To answer your first question, yes thats definitely a CV failing. Bad yet? no. you'll know for sure when its completely destroyed (you'll be embarassed to drive with it its so loud). The stock CV's on these trucks are terrible. The boots themselves have very little give to them, so it puts a lot of strain on the metal bands. If you see grease coming out, that means they arent sealed. If they arent sealed, dirt/debris will get it and destroy the joint, which is what has happened to yours. So now that we know it will need replaced, lets get on to the other questions.

Yes, you can do it yourself. I did mine with basic hand tools. You dont need an air ratchet as long as they arent really seized on there. If they are, spray some PB blaster on there. You have an 07 so i doubt they're on their that bad. There are only 2 areas you might have a problem with. 1) the axle nut size. Its freaking huge. i dont remember the size, but its something like 24mm. 2) actually pulling out the CV from the front diff. If you have a slide hammer at your disposal that would be nice. otherwise, figure out a way to get the same effect on it. While im writing a novel, i'll do a writeup

1.) lift vehicle and allow front wheel to hang
2.) remove wheel/tire
3.) remove caliper (4 nuts in total) and slide rotor off
4.) remove axle nut
5.) remove nut from the tie-rod (no puller necessary)
6.) remove nut from the top of the spindle connecting to the upper control arm
7.) LIGHTLY tap the top of threads in a downward motion to pop loose the spindle from the Upper control arm. No puller is necessary here either
8.) Rotate spindle down and out of the way
9.) using a slide hammer or your creative juices, somehow pull the halfshaft out of the front differential. Dont worry about tearing it up, cause its garbage anyway. WARNING: be very careful to pull it straight out and not twist it around all over the place. You could damage the retaining clip on the inside of the diff (if you damage it you'll be opening up the diff... not good news)
10. Once the half shaft is out, you're half way home. Take your new one and slide it into the diff until it clicks into place. Make sure its seated but trying to pull it out. If it doesnt come out, its seated properly.
11. Reinstall everything in reverse.

As for where to get the new CV. I highly suggest not getting an oem one or you'll have the same problem you've got now in the not too distant future. I purchased mine on ebay beleive it or not. Something like cvman was the dudes user name. I cant tell you how impressed i am with the product. The boots have a lot more give in them and they're a little more flexible than oem. The price aint bad either -- less than oem from the dealer. WAY cheaper than a name brand like moog, kore, etc. and the quality you need.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, as like i said I just went through this so its all still fresh.

OP
OP
R

RamGentry13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wow, thanks a lot guys, especially AF Hemi. I really appreciate it. Well i know what the problem is and how to fix it…now i just need to get to it. Need to save up a lil money and ill be good to go. Ill post up during if i need to ask questions and def afterwards to show off my hard work with a lil mudding pics.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Yep, had to do it in February in the driveway, including a worn out axle in the 205 housing, practice makes perfect bud Aaron hit it right on the nose, I even skipped the tie-rod step once I had done it after a rebuilt being defective.

If you can turn the boot with one hand while holding the metal pot or shaft in the other the boot is gonna leak out the grease so check that prior and if so recrimp the band or return the unit, this has happened to me twice with rebuilt units, like AF said pay get new ones. I found the Cardones to be real good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf