IAT / MAF Sensor Possition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
What way should the inline IA/MAF sensor be possitioned? Should it be so that it is laying "flat" in the air steam (cannot see the blue part of the sensor) or should it be "blocking" the air stream (can see the blue part of the sensor)? And would it make a difference if it is one way or the other? I went through and made a few adjustments to my CAI today and while it was turned so that it was blocking the air stream I was getting the same idle surging issues as I was before, when I rotated it 90* so that it was laying flat in the air stream and let it learn a little the idle issue seems to have gone away. So I am curious if this makes a difference and which way it was suppose to be.

Last edited:

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember the blue thing was perpendicular to the way the air comes in, so it catches the air.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I am questioning that now though, I thought that was the way it was suppose to be too, but my idle surge went away and I am not getting any codes with it laying flat

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I think mine is pointed towards the incoming air. If it being turned and helps with your truck you might have found a new trick.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I'll find out tomorrow if it stalls on me and/or surges at or around the 25mph mark while slowing down. Its just odd that after I went through and replaced the TB gasket, redid the bend going to my CAI, and checked for vac leaks without any luck, turning the sensor to the side is what made the difference.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I might try the same thing but I think the surge aroung 30-25 coming to a stop is a cam side effect. Mine was at 400 jumps at its worst, Sean got it to 100 but its working its way back to 150-200 spikes. Im thinking thats on the fuel changes here.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Thats what mine was doing, it was right at the 25mph mark or about 1000rpms, sean got it so it would stop stalling and stop jumping so much, it wasup to a 500rpm spike but he got it down lower to about a 200rpm spike. But turning the sensor made that surge go away and I am not sure if that is good or bad. Is there anything wrong with having it turned? Or will it cut the power or not run the waay it should witit turned? It feels fine to me but just curious if there is anything wrong with having it turned?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
What way should the inline IA/MAF sensor be possitioned? Should it be so that it is laying "flat" in the air steam (cannot see the blue part of the sensor) or should it be "blocking" the air stream (can see the blue part of the sensor)? And would it make a difference if it is one way or the other? I went through and made a few adjustments to my CAI today and while it was turned so that it was blocking the air stream I was getting the same idle surging issues as I was before, when I rotated it 90* so that it was laying flat in the air stream and let it learn a little the idle issue seems to have gone away. So I am curious if this makes a difference and which way it was suppose to be.

Ryan,
I think we all know what you are saying, but our 5.7L doesn't have a MAF, but uses a MAP (manifold absolute pressure sensor and is mounted to the front of the intake manifold air plenum box.), the "Inlet Air Temperature" sensor is the "IAT" sensor. The IAT on a stock setup plugs into a twist lock. This would place the sensor in a specfic orientation to the airflow. I took note of this when I did my CAI but haven't given it any thought since. But I believe you have found something that those of us with aftermarket CAI systems need to be aware of. Good catch!

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Yeah that's what I meantt, I always get them mixed up.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
If anyone has their old air box laying around take the IAT and plug it into the box and see which way it is facing. But I believe the the temp bulb should be fully exposed to the air flow. Maybe someone can post their fidings?

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I still have my old box, but I dont feel like taking it all apart at the moment with it working the way it should and holding a lower idle without stalling, so really I dont want to touch anything.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I am still curious if there is any after effects that will come with having it turned the wrong way. It is not throwing any codes but curious if it will cut the power or cause it to run richer/leaner or something.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I still have my old box, but I dont feel like taking it all apart at the moment with it working the way it should and holding a lower idle without stalling, so really I dont want to touch anything.

I used a marker so I could see the direction it was facing from the outside. Since you got it right I would mark that sucker so if I did need to take it out it would go back in the exact same position. Junkyard markers are great for **** like this.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Just as an update, on the drive to work this morning just after starting (so running cold) I had the idle bounce around a little when coming to a stop, not at the 25mph mark like it was before but while actually stopped it jumped down to 500rpms then up to 1000rpms and evened out. By the time I got to work it was all warmed up and didnt have a single issue. It drove like normal. I havent said that in about 2yrs now lol.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Sounds like a fix to me. Good job. Now mark it and let us know what the orientation of the bulb is. This could be a stumbling point for a lot of folks with CIA's (pun intended).