Ignition switch.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So Ive had this problem since I got the truck but it wasn't a major deal. My a/c controls stopped working completely! I did some research and a dodge tech said to move my steering column and it would work..... It did. He said it was the ignition switch that would be causing it. Now I have to turn the switch to the off position everytime I turn the truck off or the fan still blows. I finally ordered the new switch but I have no clue on how to take the steering wheel off bc it has an airbag......

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Well first you'll have to drain the system of power cause the air bag will still deploy even if the battery is just unhooked incase the battery is thrown during a crash. IM pretty sure if u hold the - and + cables together for 40 seconds will do it but I'll confirm when i get home n check ALLDATA. If the wheel has to come off you'll need a steering wheel puller and there should be screws on the back of the wheel to release the airbags, not sure how its set up on 3rd gens tho. Ill check that for you too.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Ok so I got the steps to do it i'm just not sure how to show it to you....

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I dont think you can copy and paste from Alldata, atleast cant say I have tried it yet. Deff make sure the system is drianed off all power like stated above.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the ignition swith is really easy to replace like 15-20 min easy. All you have to do is pull the tilt wheel tab off and look under the column for 4 screws i believe. Then the plastic surround will come apart and you have to slide it off over the shifter. The ignition switch is located right there. Just undo the wire harness and unbolt. Then reverse the process.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Yea its all data, I can copy all the steps but i dont think it'll paste the pics too... lets see how it goes

REMOVAL

SERVICE PRECAUTIONS

NOTE: The steering column on vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission is not equipped with an internal locking shaft with the ignition cylinder. Alternative methods of locking the steering wheel for service will have to be used.

The tilt and standard column (4) have been designed to be serviced as an assembly; without wiring, switches, shrouds, steering wheel, etc. Most steering column components can be serviced without removing the steering column from the vehicle.

Safety goggles should be worn at all times when working on steering columns.

To service the steering wheel, switches or airbag, Refer to Restraints and follow all WARNINGS and CAUTIONS.

WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTRO-MECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE, REMOVE OR INSTALL THE AIRBAG SYSTEM COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT OF THE AIRBAG AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY. THE FASTENERS, SCREWS, AND BOLTS, ORIGINALLY USED FOR THE AIRBAG COMPONENTS, HAVE SPECIAL COATINGS AND ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. THEY MUST NEVER BE REPLACED WITH ANY SUBSTITUTES. ANYTIME A NEW FASTENER IS NEEDED, REPLACE WITH THE CORRECT FASTENERS PROVIDED IN THE SERVICE PACKAGE OR FASTENERS LISTED IN THE PARTS BOOKS.

CAUTION: Do not hammer on steering column shaft. This may cause damage to the shaft or bearing.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to remove the pivot bolts to disassemble the tilting mechanism.

The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed first before removing ignition switch.

Remove the negative (ground) cable from the battery.
Disable the airbag.
Remove the lower and upper shrouds.
Remove key cylinder.
Disconnect the lower clockspring connectors.
Remove the wire retainer from the tilt lever bracket

Remove the tilt lever mounting screws to gain access to the ignition switch (1) mounting screws.

For columns without tilt remove the bracket (2) to gain access to the ignition switch mounting screws (2).

Disconnect the electrical connector at rear of ignition switch (1).
Remove ignition switch mounting screw (2).
Using a small screwdriver, push on locking tab and remove switch from steering column.
INSTALLATION
The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed first before installing ignition switch.

Before installing ignition switch. rotate the slot in the switch to the ON Position.
Connect the electrical connector to rear of the ignition switch. Make sure that locking tabs are fully seated into wiring connector.

Position switch (1) to column and install the mounting screw (2). Tighten screw to 3 Nm (26 inch lbs.) .

Install the tilt lever bracket (2) mounting screws. Tighten screws to 4.5 Nm (40 inch lbs.) .

If the column is non-tilt install the bracket (2). Tighten screws to 4.5 Nm (40 inch lbs.) .
Position the wire retainer into the tilt lever bracket.
Reconnect the lower clockspring connectors.

Install the key cylinder (1).
Install steering column upper and lower shrouds.
Enable the airbag system.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Yea no pics, sorry I tried!!!! lol and after you disconnect the battery it says wait 2 minutes for the system to drain

Last edited:

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
oops i didnt disconnect the battery. I always forget that for some reason. Was changing an alternator once and forgot to disconnect the battery. Turns out when the wire on the back of it hits the metal on the ac line it sparks and burns out the fusible link. wont do that one again.

OP
OP
swamp_life hemi 05

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input. I just changed it in 15 minutes. Way easier than I thought lol thanks so much guys. It fixed my a/c problem and look at this.....
The top two are burnt...
Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1320862449006.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320862449006.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,314

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yea thats how mine was. how is the wire harness. the wires where actually burnt and i had to find another connector and splice it in.

texashunter00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ignition switch

I had the same issue with my a/c not working properly. I had to replace the ignition switch and the wiring harness to the ignition switch. Both of them were burnt. Now the a/c will come on and controls work great. My issue now is it will only blow cold air when the truck is moving. When you stop it blows hot air. Any suggestions on what could be causing this issue ?

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had the same issue with my a/c not working properly. I had to replace the ignition switch and the wiring harness to the ignition switch. Both of them were burnt. Now the a/c will come on and controls work great. My issue now is it will only blow cold air when the truck is moving. When you stop it blows hot air. Any suggestions on what could be causing this issue ?

Sounds like you now have a problem with the doors for the blower system. Requires taking the whole dash apart. Have a look at this site for the repair - Dodge Ram '02-'08 - HeaterTreater

What are the part #s for the ignition switch? Do you need to re-key it to match your existing key?

I need to do this on my truck. I've killed 2 batteries over the years, forgetting to turn off the blower fan after getting out of the truck.

caseyladelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like the AC condenser fan isn't working. With the truck sitting at idle and the AC on the fan should be spinning. If it's not, smack the fan motor with a wrench, if that causes it to start spinning it is definitely the fan that needs replaced. If not start checking for power at the plug and working your way backwards to find the problem

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956