Installing Stock Cats with Longtube Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Been getting a lot of questions regarding my setup and how I kept my cats with the longtube headers on other boards so I figured I'd post this up here as well and go through the setup that is currently on my truck.

Lets start by taking a look at the stock system from the cats back

catsetup.jpg
catsetup2.jpg

As you can see in these two pics (not off my truck) the catalytic converters are welded on, not bolted. They are bolted further up the system to the stock logs. If you were to install shorties that is where they would bolt up to, no moving of anything just plug and play. Those who want to keep the cats with Longtube headers though should note that if you simply cut the cat and keep the existing piping from the cats back you would be pushing that piping pretty far back, close to if not into the transmission pan.

So what are the options.

One way is you can get an adapter to convert the 3in collectors down to the 2.25/2.5" cat piping and then have a shop fab up a custom Y pipe that isnt nearly as long as the stock setup to make more room, pick up a magnaflow Y and have a better flowing Y pipe. IMO though, that is keeping a lot of the restriction from reducing the pipe size so much.

Another, like I have on mine, is to do a bit of fab work.

I have a set of Pacesetter LT's
June-28_1122.jpg

I picked up a Pacesetter ORY (Off-Road-Y) Pipe, it's made entirely out of 3in piping, so no reductions.
June-28_1142.jpg
(ignor the swaybar kit in the box)

Take the piping that connects onto the header collector and mark both sides evenly about 4-5in down and cut the pipe. (Sorry no pics of this step but you will see in a few).

Next cut the cats off the stock piping taking note of direction and side. Take the piece of piping you cut and put it on the end of the cats and trace out a circle. Cut the cat on the trace mark or slightly under, this will give you a 3in opening on both sides of the cats.
cat1.jpg

Get both cats situated on the header collectors so that the drain plug is pointed down.
cat2.jpg

Then mock up and tack together the rest of the piping onto the other side. and weld it together. I chose to weld together the enitre Y assembly, however, I left the connection to the header collectors and connection to the straight pipe leading to the muffler attached via clamps. This makes it easy to tear down the engine for additional mods such as heads, swapping headers, swapping mufflers. Also weld in some rear O2 bungs for the rear O2 sensor and, if you have one, the **** for a wideband O2 sensor.

The end result looks like this

Connection to the header (suggest that if you clamp it to the header you cut reliefe cuts in the connection on the Y pipe so it is easier to remove)
DSC05288.jpg
DSC05288.jpg

Connection after the Cat
DSC05294.jpg
DSC05295.jpg

Welded rest of Y
DSC05299.jpg
DSC05305.jpg
DSC05309.jpg
DSC05310.jpg

Of course you can also choose to go with no cats and make life simple, I however found that with no cats I lost a big chunk of my lowend. Added them back it and the lowend came back.

You can also buy some Magnaflow High flow cats and do a 3in ID on the inlet so the header collector just slides into the Magnaflow cat and a 3in OD on the outlet so the pacesetter ORY can slide over it and install them that way.

Regardless of choice, there are options for having Longtube Headers on your truck without sacrificing the cats. Hopefullly this clears up some confusion on the subject.

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Very Nice. LongTubes are the way and I like how you kept it emmisions Friendly.
I only have one cat and need to do the 3" rear cut to get rid of my 03 choke point.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
nice write up!
the way i expanded the cats, the shop that i used has a machine to be able to expand the metal. we were able to expand the cats that way instead of cutting it.

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I've seen this DIY somewhere before, LOL...:secret:

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Awesome write up! I'll most likely go this route, save some $$.

Sorry to bring up a old thread.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Just a note, I bring this up for the 03 folks. The stock 03 having only one cat originally can also have the dual cats installed as shown in Ryan's pictures. The forward O2s can easily be fitted to the passenger side collector and I installed my wideband in the driverside collector and then added an additional O2 **** in the cross over pipe behind the driverside cat for the rear O2s. Been running this way for a couple years with no codes. And the wideband is now doing double duty supplying readout for my AeroForce Gauge and the input to my Megasquirt stand alone tuner.

img2011042800020.jpg

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Nice! Picked up a set of Kooks for the Magnum, saving up for the Midpipes $$$$$·
I do like how the pacesetters are smooth ended which seems to look good for mating up the midpipes\cats. On the Ram I added a Magnaflow HF Cat from Moes in the mean time.

Bump for a good Wrire up.