Intake manifold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matthew.l.deshazo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2002 4.7. It burning coolant. Checked the oil and it seems to be fine so I suspected intake manifold. I know its not an absolute that there would be coolent in the oil if it was the head but its more likely, in my experience anyway. I have a buddy who had a similar problem with his Chevy and his plastic intake had cracked and there was a cooling jacket in it. My question is, is this also the case with my intake..... is there a cooling jacket in the intake that could be cracked? I have started getting down to it and removed the air plenum on top of the motor and there was coolent in it.

Also.... it appears that my intake is no longer manufactured?
I see that there is an "upgrade" to an 08 intake from AirRam that requires a TB adapter. Is there significant HP gains with this? Is there a cheaper option?

Budakane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345ci Hemi
there is a HP gain to going to the newer intake manifold. Severl guys on DT have done this mod, and switched to the 4.7l HO cam and love the results. Check out airram.com

OP
OP
M

matthew.l.deshazo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have looked at AirRam but I tend to not put alot of faith in manufactures claims. I like to hear real world results. But bottom line if the intake wouldnt the reason for coolent burn then I dont want to replace it. Although this is probably one of the most underpowered trucks iv ever owned so the HP gain is tempting.

OP
OP
M

matthew.l.deshazo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I have removed the intake. I guess im second guessing my own diagnosis as I have found no evidence that there is coolent introduced to the intake anywhere. I found no cooling passages or anything. The Chilton manual even suggested intake gasket as a possible cause for coolent burn...... could someone explain to me how the intake is at all a possible cause? Im balls deep in this now and to be honest im somewhat out of my comfort zone and could use some encouragement. Should I go ahead and replace head gaskets???? I mean im half way there right?

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off: If you need any parts for the 4.7 I have a parts engine right now.

I know I am jumping in almost 2 months later but there is a easy way to find out if you have a cylinder that has either blown head or anything else that goes wrong, by doing a compression test.

So what did you find out?

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My money is on head gasket after replacing one on a 4.7 that was losing water.

There is a chemical test they did where they can take some coolant and check it for the presence of exhaust gases which proves the head gasket is blown. Compression check doesn't always prove it mine had good compression all cylinders.

After the motor is hot and you turn it off, there is no pressure in the cylinders and the coolant still under a little pressure will seep back into the cylinders. Next start up you are puking coolant out your exhaust.