just bought this 2006, looking to verify its a true 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black06ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey guys, I wanted to join at least one forum now that I just finally purchased the truck this afternoon. here is a link to it.

2006 Used Dodge Ram 1500 4dr Quad Cab 140.5 SLT at Automotive Avenues Serving Wall,Toms River,Brick, NJ, IID 12260518

The only drawback is that its a 2wd, which I am NOT afraid of at all. I drive many difficult RWD vehicles in bad weather conditions and wont be using this truck for off-roading.. but will use it for hauling stuff, maybe light towing of a fiberglass bass boat and trailer, or utility trailer. Found this gem with only 18,000 miles on it in great condition. Spent about 15 mins underneath it inspecting it and looking for signs of cleaned up leaks/grease, rust, rot, etc. All I could find is that the spare tire was rusty and the underside of the chrome rear bumper was rusting. no big deal at all. Test drove the truck twice on different days before buying. Tracks straight, handles well. gets up and goes that's for sure. I like it. Not afraid of gas mileage or prices etc either. I had read a bunch on here in the past few weeks about the similarness of the 4.7 motor to the 5.7 in mpg but if you want brute force go with the 5.7 That's one of the things that attracted me to this ride. Also, I needed it to be black, and a non smoker vehicle. All a win

My only only concern, which I feel I have answered 99.9% on my own ... (but still wanted to ask you experts)... is are there any visible stampings anywhere permanent on the engine block to absolutely confirm that it is a 5.7 hemi motor. I went through my normal checks, ran the vin, checked the placement of the oil dipstick (which looks different in many online photos of the 4.7 and 5.7 ive seen), obviously took notice of the chrome 5.7 badging on the fenders and on top of the air intake plenum. I also saw a white square sticker on the pass side head saying 5.7 with some type of bar sequence below it. im just curious if there is a way to finally settle any remaining doubt that someone had dressed this vehicle/engine up as a 5.7 when it could be a 4.7 internally. the placement of a lot of hardware (alternator, dip tube, snorkel, etc) points to the fact that its the 5.7 hemi. I know the 5.7 hemi has plugs in the center and I see what I (as a GM guy would call "coil packs") on top of the valve covers.. I was not about to remove them to inspect the plugs/wires at the dealer, but can do it tomorrow .

just looking to know if there are any other fool-proof ways/signs to verify this a 5.7. Don't get me wrong, this engine pulls great and for that alone I'd say its a 5.7, I just want to ease my mind that nobody pulled any type of trickery.

for background, I'm 30 years old and have spent 15 years wrenching on Camaros, firebirds, jeeps, and other machines as a HOBBY, and I own/built a pretty modified 1987 Camaro (motor, trans, rear, suspension, paint, etc etc) i'm no stranger to taking things apart and upgrading vehicles, but before I settle down with this one, I want to be 10000% sure its the 5.7 Hemi.

Thanks guys, looking forward to having a lot of fun and good times driving this truck. Almost real soon I want to get an exhaust to give this beast some bark.

Another thing I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be any type of light or notification as to IF and when the cylinder deactivations activates or reengages. As for what i've researched all SLT's with the 5.7 have the cylinder deactivation MDS. or does mine not? I drove it about 1 hour on regular roads and on the highway and many times at partial, low throttle around 65 - 70 mph. I was hoping to see some type of indicator telling me that it went into 4 cylinder mode, but nothing came up. Any equipment setup for this, or just do it do it on its own and not tell you its deactivating?

Thanks guys, any input is much appreciated. Im experienced with 3rd gen Camaro stuff and 1995 jeep wrangler work.. yet I've never had a truck so this bit is just unfamiliar to me until I spend some time wrenching on it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Run the VIN number should give you the build sheet. Take a picture of the engine and post it. I suppose it would be easy enough to change the badging, but I've never seen it really done. Welcome to the fold....

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is the 5.7L HEMI Engine

Attachments

• images 1.jpg
    images 1.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 133

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's a hemi. 3rd Gen VIN code for the 5.7 hemi is "S", and the eighth digit of the VIN is S in the above link. Also, the 5.7 and 4.7 are nothing alike. The 4.7 is an overhead cam engine, the 5.7 is a pushrod engine. So the 4.7 has bulbous, domed valve covers with obvious raised parts where there are cam gears underneath. The 5.7 valve covers are mostly flat, save the coil packs sitting atop.

MDS can and will activate at any speed above 40 mph when the applied throttle position has stayed the same for a period of several seconds, and the engine is under less than X amount of calculated load. The most operation will come while cruising flat stretches of interstate or highways. There is no indicator to let you know when it does it, but a watchful eye on the tach will give it away. RPM increases by 100 or so when it engages, similar to the converter unlocking. Beware, swapping to an aftermarket exhaust makes for one hell of an annoying fluttering noise in 4 cylinder mode if you get rid of the giant stock resonator and muffler. Sounds like an underwater helicopter underneath the truck. I have mine turned off for that reason. It can be deactivated with a diablosport tuner, you will not notice a loss in mpg.

OP
OP
B

Black06ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
woah thanks Big Sloth, that's the info i was looking for. great. I will keep an eye on the tach while coasting on local interstates. i do want to do an exhaust because the truck is too quiet... but had no idea about the awful sounding flutter it would make in 4cyl mode. i'll definitely research that a bit prior to doing any cat back upgrade. thanks

here's some photos of the truck i took .. no need to repost the whole thing, so here's the link to my post on the "Members Introduction" section

otherwise the truck is great

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Its easy to tell the 4.7 from the 5.7 the hemi is not overhead cam the 4.7 is overhead Cam

Sorry posted this before I read all of bigsloths Message He Already said that

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Completely unrelated question, but curious nonetheless.

You mentioned that you are not "scared of a RWD". What exactly is there to be scared of? Is snow really that much of a ***** to drive in that everyone is afraid of 2wd trucks? Just wondering. ..