lets talk coolant.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
so before getting the headers in im doing a coolant flush and adding a 180tstat. picked up some coolant, but not sure if its good. not looking for antifreeze since it doesnt get too cold out here.
whats the best coolant to run, and should i add any additive to it?
also how much coolant do i need for a complete flush?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Pick up the actual Mopar coolent. Its alill pricey but do it right.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Does not have to be MOPAR...
hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) formulation ---- > Zerex G-05 is the same and I actually assume this is what they put in the Mopar bottle. Get whatever of these two are cheaper. 15.9 quarts is initial fill in Hemi and you would want to mix about 50/50 if it is not premixed. The water is the coolant really the product your buying is the anti-rust, anti-wear, and antifreeze. I would not use tap water get distilled so it does not have all the crap in it.

Found this pic from manual on another forum
attachment.png

Last edited:

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought Prestone, Just because I have always used it. I have to read the back of the bottle yet to see if there are any warnings ( I have always used it in Cast Iron). Anyone got any feedback/warnings? I have not put it in yet... I am in the process of draining and filling with water, then run a day and wait till cool...reapeat. I am trying to get all the old coolant out.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought Prestone, Just because I have always used it. I have to read the back of the bottle yet to see if there are any warnings ( I have always used it in Cast Iron). Anyone got any feedback/warnings? I have not put it in yet... I am in the process of draining and filling with water, then run a day and wait till cool...reapeat. I am trying to get all the old coolant out.

Using anything but Zerex G-05 or HOAT in a ram will result in radiator and engine cooling failure! :homoswitch: