My transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well guys, a lot of you know what has been going on with my transmission, some of you dont. so i will sum up what all has happened, and what is happening now with a couple small updates.

back in February i installed my Edge 2600 and Transgo HD-2. shortly thereafter, my trans blew up. it was bad, clutches literally welded themselves together. i suspect it was a front pump failure. whether or not it was caused by the work i did, i dont know, never will.

so, i decided to dip into my cam/heads fund (by dip into, i mean take all of it) and spoil myself with a Sharadon Stage 2 tranny and valve body. i installed that, along with my freshly refurbished edge TC (andre is an awesome guy, i dropped it off at his shop, and he did it for free. plus gave me a bunch of goodies) and new cooler and lines, then immediately got a quick learn done.

the truck drove, but not very well. it had a HORRIBLE shudder from 1-2 only at partial throttle, and another horrible shudder and lag when downshifting into the passing gear.

i worked with the guys at sharadon over the phone to trouble shoot the problem. i tried getting another quick learn, line pressure booster, sonnax line pressure booster, new tranny mount, and got my drive shaft checked out. none of that worked. I even met up with Andre from Edge, and he test drove the truck, and lent me some of his advice (which closely mirrored sharadons advice) andre called up the guys at sharadon, they all agreed that a new solenoid pack should be the next step in trouble shooting. Andre offered to give me one on the spot but sharadon insisted that they just send me one themselves.

5 weeks and numerous calls later, sharadon kept on "forgetting" to send the solenoid out. the whole while i am stuck with my truck that is barely drivable, and not able to pull my wives horses or my boat around. So i call up Andre, and let him know what is going on. he says hold on, im gonna make a call. he makes his call, and 10 minutes later sharadon calls me up and tells me they are sending me an entire new tranny. (SWEET! i thought at the time)

just over a month goes by, and i finally get the new tranny. ugh. it couldnt have come at a worse time. i had to be out in the desert and various other places for training (work ups for deployment) and with all that, when i was home, i was too tired to do any serious work. not to mention the crazy ass schedule we have at work.

on the "other" forum that sharadon frequents, i had a thread describing my problems. very recently people were asking for updates. i told them that i have not had the time to install the new tranny yet, but am looking forward to getting it in. to that, sharadon responds:

"The fact it still works, means it isn't messed up. You just don't like how it shifts. I would like it back, since you have a spare on the floor of your garage with a mild VB."

im still sort of in shock at that comment, dont know how to feel about it yet. but, i do think that my problem is related to the VB and/or solenoid. so today, i have a little free time (not enough to install a tranny, but free time none the less) so i decide to take the VB/solenoid from the new tranny and stick it in the truck, to see if it works. that was a no go. my tranny pan is on there rock solid. i tried everything to get it off, it wont budge. i even got a framing hammer, and hooked the claw onto the edge of the pan and tried to pry. still wouldnt budge. (note to self, dont use black RTV anymore)

so, this Wednesday, i have the day off, so i will be finally putting the new tranny in. unless **** comes up again, like it so commonly does in my life. i will keep you guys updated as much as i can (im at work a lot, and the DOD proxy doesnt allow me to visit this awesome site) and i will deal with sharadon later. if i send them a tranny back, its going to cost me almost $200 out of pocket to get it to them. and it wasnt even my idea to get it in the first place. FML

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Hope the new one works well for you and therefore you'll finally get your moneys worth and too bad you couldn't send the N/S one back COD.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I was also surprised by his comment on DT. Not exactly what I was expecting to see, thats for damn sure.

Good luck man!

BEAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 HEMI 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good Luck john, I know you've been round and round with the tranny. Hope the new one works out for you.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Damn man I am gonna have to swing by there and see which one said that. I remember the vid you posted of it and I can believe you havent sent em a Cryopractor bill.

cwboyjohnny24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Send it back on the same carrier that brought it to you "freight collect". I am in shipping and they will bill Sheridon for the freight and they won't know until the bill shows up at the end of the month from the carrier. They won't have to pay any money when it shows up, they'll just sign for it and the carrier will bill them.

Hope it works out for you man.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
^^^ that is a good point ^^^

good luck buddy let us know .

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
I think it would be neat to swap a GM 4L85E or even better a 6L85E transmission in then just use a standalone controller for tuning. Every time I drive my truck I can't help but think what a **** up the 545 is.

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it would be neat to swap a GM 4L85E or even better a 6L85E transmission in then just use a standalone controller for tuning. Every time I drive my truck I can't help but think what a **** up the 545 is.

i find it odd that us truck owners are the only ones that HATE this tranny. if you start asking jeep guys about this tranny, they love it, and thinks its the best thing chrysler has ever made.

The tensions are high in my tranny thread on the other forum. now based on the attitude from the guys from sharadon, im probably going to just keep that other tranny. i was fully planning on sending it back to them too. i have been nothing but kind, courteous, and understanding to those guys. and they come in with a ****** attitude. screw that, ive got a spare tranny now. there was never any agreement, or arrangement or contract on that other tranny. i was just trying to get the solenoid they promised and Denny said "im going to send you a whole new tranny. you dont even need to send the other one back, unless you want to."

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
wow........and yeah - that other thread has had a lot of love tossed around in it. :D

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Seems to be the normal BS on that thread, started out with an actual problem and some good advise then it went to **** like the others.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
you'd be stupid to send that tranny back. you have no contractual obligation to send it back, so there is nothing legally they can do to you.

Keep the tranny and be sure to give them a bad name whenever you can. I certainly wont ever be buying anything from them.

capybill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
heY'all any feedback On my situation which is a shaft to the overdrive with undersized oil holes? thrust bearings burn up. this is a 48re in a 5.9 cummings 2500 (2005) Also CSP will not pay for it cuz they know I had A CHIP IN IT! SHAZ BUTT