need advice / help ram throwing codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetrail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi everyone , I'm a noob to owning a ram . We just bought out 2004 ram with the 5.7 hemi . When I bought it the owner said it takes copper plugs and was coming up on needing to be changed . It drove fine Monday but Tuesday on my way home from work it threw the check engine light . I went by autozone and it pulled 3 codes. P2099, p0159, p0157 all relating to the bank 2 sensor 2 , so I buy one from autozone , it was a bosch and I install it , clear the code by removing fuse 23 and off to work I go today , on the way to work it's fine bug on my way home here comes my little yellow engine light friend so I go back to autozone and this time it's code p0430. I bought 16 champion plugs because I know he said it was coming up on needing done but also because all these codes say it could be a misfire . Can old plugs cause a misfire ? , what else should I check etc ? . Any help or advice would be appreciated

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Can old plugs cause a misfire ?
Very much so. They could be fouled (and the cause might need to be addressed or recur) or the electrode is consumed from age.

Put new plugs in and see if your truck drops new codes. Post pics of the old plugs here for members to judge condition or ask someone you trust what they think the old plug appearance implies.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The plug, the wire or the plug coil can all cause a misfire code.

Replace the plugs first, clear the code then drive it. If the code comes back, read it and we can focus on which cylinder has the misfire. Then we'll be doing a simple swap of the coil to another cylinder, then run it to see if the misfire happens on that other cylinder. If not, then we swap the wire to see which cylinder misfires after the swap.

OP
OP
J

jetrail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks , we'll I did find out from previous owner that he had check engine light come on and sensor issues at 40,000 miles. He did confirm what I read here that this ram doesn't do well with bosch sensors and that's what I bought and installed so I picked up a ntk one to replace it . Then on my way home for a second or so the red lightning bolt appeared on the dash , not sure if that ties into the original issue or not . But I'm going to get that bosch sensor out now then see what happens . It's freezing here in Maryland so doing these plugs tonight will be extremely hard , I have no garage and the high Saturday is 27 degrees and that may be my best day

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963