need alittle help on rear diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian3180

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have an 03 qc 1500 long bed,2wd.i tow a small 8ft trailer loaded with tools for work.i travel from coast to coast.and would like to make it more reliable.thinking about doing a rear diff upgrade.maybe a auburn lsd.what gears would you guys recommend.i run stock rims and tires and would like it to pull better on the hills.just allround better pulling power.hopefully better mpg too.any other upgrade ideas would be intertained.and what about tranny upgrades?would like to upgrade to the most the truck is rated for cause i would probly up my size of trailer in future.thank you

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Welcome Brian, it is always good to see an 03 join. I would say read the posts in the 03 thread and generally search for gears. But the basic rule on gears is 33" and taller 4:56, and/or smaller 4:10. The heavier you use your truck the more gear you need. Usually mpg go up with a gear change as a general rule. 03's can benefit from TMR mod, pwr wire, which are free for the price of a Radio Shack resistor. Intake, exhaust are good support mids that are not expensive. Read and pick the mods you want to do... Good luck..

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.88 would be a disaster for you. They would definitely tow better, but they would suck all your mpg away. What gear are you running now?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
i have an 03 qc 1500 long bed,2wd.i tow a small 8ft trailer loaded with tools for work.i travel from coast to coast.and would like to make it more reliable.thinking about doing a rear diff upgrade.maybe a auburn lsd.what gears would you guys recommend.i run stock rims and tires and would like it to pull better on the hills.just allround better pulling power.hopefully better mpg too.any other upgrade ideas would be intertained.and what about tranny upgrades?would like to upgrade to the most the truck is rated for cause i would probly up my size of trailer in future.thank you

Sounds like it would be cheaper and best for you to trade that in on a CTD and get everything you want listed in red ... just my opinion .