need some help changing out a leaking pinion seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found that my pinion seal is slightly leaking on my truck. I've never really changed one of these things out but i know as much to remove the drive shaft and unbolt the yolk plate that the drive shaft bolts to. How do i go about pulling the old one out and putting the new one in? Will any fluid come out when i remove the seal? Enough that i have to add some? I may be wrong, but it looks to be pressed in but has a outter lip like maybe i can use a flat chisel to pop it out. I just want to do the job right the first time and not have to redo it later down the road. Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I believe you got it covered by what your plan was and yes your gonna leak some fluid. I havent had to do my rear seal yet but my front was weeping so we fixed it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Look in the manual for detailed instructions. But basically, remove the drive shaft and the manual says to also remove the brake calipers so they don't drag. Use a a inch-pound torque wrench and measure the rotating force it takes to turn the pinion. Mark the nut. Remove the nut and flange. Replace the seal and reassemble the flange using a new pinion nut and do not exceed 210 ft lbs on the pinion nut to bring the rotating drag back to what it originally was. 10-20 inch-pounds on old bearings. Good luck.