Need Some Input From Gear Folks, Might Be Paying To Much

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
So a couple weeks ago my rear end started to make some abnormal noise. I put it the shop this past Saturday and was informed today what it's going cost to do a complete overhaul. I was expecting $1,200.00 or under, but that wasn't near the quote I got. I was quoted for a complete rebuild - gears, bearings, seals......... $2,400.00! I have 9.25, 3.92 with the LSD. He told me that when he contacted Dodge about parts they told him that they had discontinued parts for my rear end!? WTF, I don't understand. I asked about aftermarket and he said the parts he was able to track down through sources he has were probably aftermarket that Dodge would sell.

A little background on the shop it's at. Back in June of this year I took my truck over to them to have trans rebuilt, $3,000.00 and a week and a half later... I had my truck back with a fresh trans, shift kit, 1 year parts and labor warranty and she's worked like a top ever since. So by the price, discounts and quality of work that was done the first time - I decided to take it back to them.

I'm getting a break down sent over to me and I'll post them up here for everyone to look over when I get it.

I basically want to here from folks that have been through and do this kind of thing and any other informational input is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help.

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Rebuild time I would say is close to 6-7 hours, so close to 700$ in labor. The rest is cost in parts and because its the anti-slip rear its even more onto that.

So 1700$ for a rebuild kits sounds kinda high, I know Rock Auto has bearing/seal kits for 300$ and a ring kit for 400$. You may be able to source your own parts for much cheaper and at the same time upgrade what you have if you wanted.

If you weren't so far away I have an entire rear end assembly I could sell you lol.

OP
OP
SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
So I got the quote in... $1,700.00 in parts and $875.00 in labor. I'm having a hard time understanding why a ring and pinion costs $900.00.

I called another shop by my house and the guy laughed and asked if it was getting coated with gold... he said it should cost no more than $1,500.00, but it would be 2 weeks before he could get to my truck and the shop it's at now can do it right now. I'm already $375.00 in on the teardown of the rear and I'm really stuck in a place where I don't know which way to go.

Edit: I just got off the phone with Yukon Gear and was quoted for master rebuild kit, axle seals and bearings, ring and pinion and a complete brand new LSD.... total price - shipping waived was $1,250.00

Last edited:

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That sounds like a much better price, better parts too.