p0714??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05hemi66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys Im new to the forum and Im having an intermittent problem, my transmission every so often will throw a p071 code and throw my tranny into limp mode and I'm not exactly sure where the transmission temp sensor is any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey guys Im new to the forum and Im having an intermittent problem, my transmission every so often will throw a p071 code and throw my tranny into limp mode and I'm not exactly sure where the transmission temp sensor is any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

The trans temp sensor, is a part of the trans range sensor, which is part of the solenoid module mounted on top of the valve body inside the transmission.

AlexP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hey there,

I hope the below information helps with getting the light out.

Possible Causes

- RELATED DTC'S PRESENT
- TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR
- POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Theory of Operation

The Transmission Temperature Sensor is a variable resistor that changes with temperature, or otherwise known as a thermistor. The temperature of the transmission fluid can affect a variety of electronically controlled transmission operations such as shift quality, torque converter lock-up, and when and/or if certain OBDII or system self-diagnostic test are performed. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) substitutes a calculated transmission temperature value if a fault is detected in the Transmission Temperature Sensor circuit.

Diagnostic Test
1. DETERMINE IF RELATED DTC's ARE PRESENT With the scan tool, check Transmission DTC's.

Are there any line pressure sensor or throttle position sensor DTCs present?
Yes >>Refer to the Transmission category and perform the appropriate symptom.
No >>Go To 2

2. CHECK TO SEE IF DTC IS CURRENT
With the scan tool, Check the STARTS SINCE SET counter for P0714.

NOTE: This counter only applies to the last DTC set.

Is the STARTS SINCE SET counter 2 or less?
Yes >>Go To 3
No >>Go To 4

3. TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR
Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Remove the Starter Relay.

NOTE: Removal of the Starter Relay is to prevent a Transmission, NO RESPONSE, condition and disable the starter.

Install the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333.

NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.

Ignition on, engine not running.
With the Transmission Simulator, turn the Input/Output switch to OFF.
With the scan tool, monitor the TRANS TEMP VOLTS while turning the Thermistor Voltage switch to all three positions on the Transmission Simulator.
Compare the scan tool readings with the numbers listed on the Transmission Simulator.

Do the readings on the Transmission Simulator match a non-fluctuating scan tool reading ± 0.2 volts?
Yes >>Replace Transmission Solenoid/TRS assembly per the Service Information.
Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests
No >>Using the schematics as a guide, check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace the PCM per the Service Information. With the scan tool, perform QUICK LEARN.
Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests

4. INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS
The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits.
With the scan tool, check the EATX DTC EVENT DATA to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.

Were there any problems found? Yes >>Repair as necessary.
No >>Test Complete.