power window problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawrence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently purchased a 2002 ram. My boy rolled the driver rear window down and just my luck, it would not go back up ! I took the door apart and tested the wiring, even tried a new regulator - still the same problem. Upon thurther inspection I have found that the speaker does not work in that door, it also does not show door ajar on the message center when the door is open. I hate to tear into it without having an idea of where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Wiring issue ?

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF.
I don't think the speaker is on with the window circuit. The speaker should come from the radio.
If the window rolled down but not back up The switch would be the place I would start. Verify fuses are good. Do the other window(s) work?

OP
OP
L

lawrence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
power window problem

Thanks for the reply, the other windows work great, even swapped the switch from the passenger rear door which did not help. Is the a fuse for each door? Don't honestly know. I tested the plug at the motor, in the down position one side of the plug is hot, in the up position the other side of the plug is hot. From what I have been reading , in able for the window to work properly one side of the plug has to ground & the other side has to go hot. It has to work vise-versa for up & down if that makes any sense. I tried grounding the motor and put a hot wire to either of the posts and nothing happens even on a new regulator. It seems like I am not getting a (switched) ground on the plug when operating the switch.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The front driver(master) switch is different from the others. If you jump the power to the reg. and it goes down then if you switch the wires it should go up. In theory. A new reg. should go up and down. Verify voltage from switch to reg. Could possibly be a broken wire from switch to reg.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Go here for the manual.
My Dodge: Dodge Owners Service Manuals - Dodge Cars, Minivans, SUVs

POWER WINDOWS
DESCRIPTION
The power window system allows each of the door
windows to be raised and lowered electrically by
actuating a switch on each door panel. A master
switch on the drivers door allows the driver to raise
or lower each of the passenger door windows and to
lock out the individual switches on the passenger
doors from operation. The power window system
receives battery feed through a fuse in the Integrated
Power Module (IPM) and a circuit breaker located in
the instrument panel wiring harness near the park
brake pedal, only when the ignition switch is in the
RUN or ACCESSORY position.
OPERATION
WINDOW SWITCH
The power window switches control the battery
and ground feeds to the power window motors. The
passenger door power window switches receive their
battery and ground feeds through the circuitry of the
drivers window switch. When the power window lockout
switch is in the Lock position, the battery feed
for the passenger door window switches is interrupted.
WINDOW MOTOR
Window motors use permanent type magnets. The
B+ and ground applied at the motor terminal pins
will cause the motor to rotate in one direction.
Reversing current through the motor terminals will
cause the motor to rotate in the opposite direction.
Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The
wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper
wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire
harness routing and retention, connector pin-out
information and location views for the various wire
harness connectors, splices and grounds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lawrence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you guys for the suggestions, might tear into it this weekend and do some more testing.

OP
OP
L

lawrence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have not had a chance to check that - but will. Not only will the speaker and window not work, but also found out this weekend that the power door lock on that door does not work either. Definitly sounds like the wires are broke or unplugged somewhere. I was not sure where to start, but it sounds like it plugs in at the pillar post and that is the place to start. Thank you for the replies and suggestions - will keep you posted.

OP
OP
L

lawrence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemiram wins and thank you ! I pulled back the boot you were referring to and found a broken wire. I removed the harness from the door completely, and upon further inspection found 6 out of 9 wires broken into. It looks like somebody took a pair of side cutters to them. I dont understand how so many wires can break inside a rubber boot ! I used heat shrink butt splices to repair the problem for now and everything works great. I am going to check into a new harness just for peace of mind. Thanks to all for all the help and suggestions.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 14,619

cndsoldier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Passanger rear window/speaker/lock will not operate

Thanks, this has been bothering me for a long time that this was an issue. Just didn't want to spend the $$ to get it fixed as it probably wouldn't be cheap and it seems to be an easy fix.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have had the same issue on my 2002. The rubber boot protects from the elements, but not from the constant bending that opening and closing the doors generates.

Forget getting a new harness, a new one from a stealer will set you back well above 250$, and salvage yards are not selling just this harness but the whole door.

My wires were broken within the connectors and I had to swap them, and I sourced some waterproof connectors from eBay which ends up being a much cheaper option, especially since the connectors cannot be sourced independently from the harness even from a stealer.

Also as a side note, crimps are the way to go to get this fixed, as a good crimp will provide a more resilient mechanical bound than solder which will be more brittle and would end up breaking even faster than the just a wire.

If you have the possibility, I suggest extending the wires a few inches to allow new wires to take on the bending.

All of this should make this repair all the more permanent and long lasting.

Good luck.