The rear blew right on the highway!!!!! 2005 ram 1500 rear wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lyoooha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
I was driving easy when I felt a jerk from the back and started hearing all sorts of metal grinding noises so I pull over and immediately realize that I have smoke and oil coming out of rear differential. The oil
Has been leaking for 2 years and now its the end because I never filled it up.

I took the cap off and the damage appears to be where the spindle joins or comes into the rear differential. This is the forward/front area of the differential that seemed to be leaking and that is where the revolving shaft comes into the differential. The gear that connects to the shaft seems to by just laying there dangling around from left to right. Looks like to bearing that suppprted it completely fell apart. The gears themselves lool ok since I pulled over quickly and did not drive it as soon as this occured.

Please tell me is there anywhere a write up to fix this or maybe a diagram of diassembly?

Did anyone repair theirs? Repace with a complete unit from a junkyard?

I want to replace the gears alltogether, but does the actual differential box may need to be replaced too? I am worried the heat may have destroyed not only the bearing that holds the shaft spider gear, but the entire housing part of the differential box too, where the shaft comes into the box. Could that be true?

I am certainly willing to shop at yukon gears, but do you think all I will be needing is the gear assembly with the front bearing or there is much more to this?

Thank you so much.

I HAVE VIDEOS POSTED:

From the back: 05 Ram 1500 Differential Problems - YouTube
Side shot (passenger): 05 Ram 1500 Differential Problems - YouTube

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Best regards.

Alex

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
first off, welcome to our site. you have come to the right place. this might have been better to post in a different section of the site (tech info, or general) but either way..

this is a common problem amongst the 1500's with the stock lsd. my recommendation would be to take it into a reputable differential shop with a new set of gears and a master install kit (contains all the bearing and everything needed) or they can get that stuff for you. its going to run about $1000 or more for this to get fixed most likely.

there arent many guys on here, or any other site for that matter who have done gears by themselves. it is a very tedious, exacting job that most of us will just leave to the pros.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome! ODJ is right...take the gears to a shop. There is a LOT involved. Hit up our vendor 3rd strike for prices on gears, and the lsd. Then, Amsoil for the fluid. Both Duane, and Heath will point you in the right direction!

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I was driving easy when I felt a jerk from the back and started hearing all sorts of metal grinding noises so I pull over and immediately realize that I have smoke and oil coming out of rear differential. The oil
Has been leaking for 2 years and now its the end because I never filled it up.

I took the cap off and the damage appears to be where the spindle joins or comes into the rear differential. This is the forward/front area of the differential that seemed to be leaking and that is where the revolving shaft comes into the differential. The gear that connects to the shaft seems to by just laying there dangling around from left to right. Looks like to bearing that suppprted it completely fell apart. The gears themselves lool ok since I pulled over quickly and did not drive it as soon as this occured.

Please tell me is there anywhere a write up to fix this or maybe a diagram of diassembly?

Did anyone repair theirs? Repace with a complete unit from a junkyard?

I want to replace the gears alltogether, but does the actual differential box may need to be replaced too? I am worried the heat may have destroyed not only the bearing that holds the shaft spider gear, but the entire housing part of the differential box too, where the shaft comes into the box. Could that be true?

I am certainly willing to shop at yukon gears, but do you think all I will be needing is the gear assembly with the front bearing or there is much more to this?

Thank you so much.

I HAVE VIDEOS POSTED:

From the back: 05 Ram 1500 Differential Problems - YouTube
Side shot (passenger): 05 Ram 1500 Differential Problems - YouTube

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Best regards.

Alex

i replaced mine last yr i bought a yukon brand bearing kit and re did mine for under $300 i havent had a problem since i used lucas gear oil 80w and mines doing great

pull off diff cover. pull out the big pin in the center of chunk(DONOT ROTATE SPIDER GEARS OUT DO NOTTT!!!) and push axle shafts in and pull c-clips off shafts and slide axle shafts out then pull the 4 big bolts off the bearing races that hold the carrier in place the pull carrier out............then take an impact and pull yoke off the out side of pinion pull pinion out then heat up with torch and pull old bearing off the pinion and install new one(any auto repair shop will remove old bearing and press new bearing on for you) then i would recomend replacing the seal as well then put back together as follow steps backwards i set atleast 2 or 3 days aside to do so and.......your on the street again :D

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
i may be 19 but ive built 4 of my dodge rams from the ground up and iv taken 5 yrs of auto mechanics and diesel mechanics lol if you have any questions msg me if you would like i could give ya my # and you could contact me while your in the shop

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Welcome to Rf man, sorry about your truck. I'd take it a shop if your not experienced.

Jb- What about shimming? That's pretty involved... don't think he could tackle that easily.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
just pt the same size shim as was on it it you have a lil play add a 0.05 shim to pick up the slack it not enough keep adding the shims till it takes up slack......i bought a pinion setting tool and it had a number on the back and there is a number on the pinion theres a sertan way to do the math on it ill tell you when my father gets home to un lock shop but its very easy and thr pinion bearing ott to clide right on if not get you som emery cloth (sand paper in tape form w/o adhesive) and go back and forth on pinin to get gunk off then it should slide right on but hen my father gets home ill open shop and tell ya exactly how to do it

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to rf. JB seems pretty knowledgeable, but I'm with the others, and personally as much as it would suck to pay for the labor i would take it to the shop.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you ran it dry to the bone (and why in the hell did you do that?!), every bearing in your rear is toast. You are way beyond a simple gear swap. You need everything replaced.

And you need to understand that JB is a god among men. He is like the Hercules of ram owners. The rest of us are mere mortals. Take it to a shop.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
a whole rwbuild kit (ring,pinion,all bearings, and shims costs me about 700 bucks) yukon ring and gear in franklin tennessee is where i go... theres only 3 of them yukon retailers in the country i know of lol

OP
OP
L

lyoooha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500
Engine
Gentlemen,

this is all so much useful info, I truly appreciate all of it

my next step is to take apart the front of the diff., where the u joint is, I will disassemble the front and see if the box itself will not leak, then I will be able to make a decision to replace the entire rear or fix the insides.

Ill keep everybody posted with further info and videos,you guys are helping me a great deal.

I appreciate your help very very much

thank you all!

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What size rear is in the back of the 2nd gens? Do they run the same fickle 9.25 that the 3rd gens run?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
This I know lol

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
By chance have you checked at a local junk yard for one?

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
iv got 4 axles behind my shop of dodges iv parted out 2 3.55 gear axles ,1 3.92 axle and 1 4,10 gear ratio lol wanna buy one?.....150 each