Rear end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, newbie here.. Names Zac. hows it going?

Ive got a question..

Just bought an 03 ram 4.7 quad cab 4x4 a couple weeks ago. Traded in my 98 ram because the trans went out on it.. Supprise supprise lol, also traded in my 95 dakota with it, as its trans was gone to hahaha, gotta love the 90s tansmissions!

Anyway got the new truck, love it to death! But.... When making turns from a stop the truck vibrates a lil during the turn, Dont really hear noise, just feel it. I had my buddy who works at the chrysler dealer drive it. He thinks its just the fluid needing to be changed in the rear. He drove it around in circles making it vibrate. Ive been driving it for almost a week now since then, and have noticed a noise now. Im not sure if its cause of the really cold wheather we've been getting, or something to do with the vibration/rear end. But when I put the truck in gear, and let off the brakes I hear a loud whining sound, sounds just like old brakes being applied, but its not the brakes. It only happens for a quick second, then goes away. Any ideas? Does this sound normal at all? Trucks got 113000 miles on the clock. My buddy looked up its history, and the rear was taking apart to put a new seal in at 34000 miles. He said if the fluid hasnt been changed in the 80 some thousand miles since, it could just be that being its a synthetic oil.

gonna take the truck in sometime in the next 2 weeks, but was wondering if anyone had something like this happen to them? Maybe give me something to expect lol.

Thanks!
-zac

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it is the oil in the rear, my truck did the exact same thing. It is recommended to change the rear oil every 15,000 miles. I used Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil (cant remember the weight, it should be in the manual). When you change it make sure to inspect the teeth and check the magnet for loose shavings. 80K without a change is a long time!

And Welcome to the forum!

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Welcome to RF, dunno! But something to remember is there are small brake shoes hidding under your rear rotors that are for the parking brake, and if they are broke down fromsay a leaking seal or if one of the springs is rusted through or broke the shoe could be twisted or binding, just a thought. But for sure change the fluid anyways (every 30K kilometers I think / 18K miles).

Posted same time as Daniel.

OP
OP
75mopar

75mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys! Makes me feel alot better! Hopefully the fluids been changed since... My buddy can only look up history of work done to the truck at a chrysler dealer. Maybe the previous owner had it done at a quick lube or something... Anyhow it will deff be getting changed!

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Whatever it needs to have the cover removed and checked. The viberation is likely the oil broken down, noise is another mater. Welcome and good luck...

OP
OP
75mopar

75mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well took the truck in a lil over a week ago. Found out the e brake pad was bad, and just rolling around in the disk. Took it out and Everything seemed to go away after that (noise, and vibration) Fluid didnt look to bad, so left it. But after putting some miles on it, the problem was still there. Took it back in today, and took the cover off. Found a broken clip. So took the rear apart. Luckily the clip didnt do any damage when it broke, just fell to the bottom. But found out the clutches were pretty worn. Buddy had a spare rear end haning around, with better clutches.. So in they went lol. No more vibration! woo hoo lol

A few pics-

4-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

2-3.jpg

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Great, good to hear it is fixed.

4X HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well, I see you beat me to it. I was going to say it sounds like a clip sheared off on the carrier in the rear end.

The 03's are well known for this, there has also been tech bulletin put out on them but, Dodge will not recall them to fix it. From what a service mgr told me, Dodge is well aware of it.

I believe they are hoping the people don't notice it until after the warranty is over, then you have to pay for it out of your pocket.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Well, I see you beat me to it. I was going to say it sounds like a clip sheared off on the carrier in the rear end.

The 03's are well known for this, there has also been tech bulletin put out on them but, Dodge will not recall them to fix it. From what a service mgr told me, Dodge is well aware of it.

I believe they are hoping the people don't notice it until after the warranty is over, then you have to pay for it out of your pocket.

Not just 03's have this problem. I think it goes on into even 05's.

c_4thman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Cummins
I hope I am doing this in the right place I just joined. I have a 2007 3500 Quad and I just had the emergency brakes replaced. Now I have a rubbing sound (**** **** ****) that I haven't been able to locate. The mechanic says its the rear end. We are changing the rear end oil today and putting in an additive. Nothing I do seems to change it, going faster speeds it up but doesn't start or stop it. Braking, applying the emergency brake, hard turns nothing changes it. It doesn't always do it but it is getting more consistant and louder.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I hope I am doing this in the right place I just joined. I have a 2007 3500 Quad and I just had the emergency brakes replaced. Now I have a rubbing sound (**** **** ****) that I haven't been able to locate. The mechanic says its the rear end. We are changing the rear end oil today and putting in an additive. Nothing I do seems to change it, going faster speeds it up but doesn't start or stop it. Braking, applying the emergency brake, hard turns nothing changes it. It doesn't always do it but it is getting more consistant and louder.

You really should start you own thread / post as a courtesy to the person who started this one.