Serious problem real tricky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onebadbrink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how is everyone im new to this site, but have been following it for quite some time now and gotten some very good answers. However the problem i have now is got me down and kept me down. i own a 2008 4.7 the newer model 4.7...... It has been randomly stalling at idle, acceleration, and it has really gotten dangerous. i changed the crankshaft sensor, all 16 plugs. it never throws codes when it shuts off. sometimes it has its days where the truck is beast and not a problem at all. seems to shutdown more with air conditioning on. a couple times i have got the code po430 catalyst system efficiency below threshold. question is would the converters really make the truck do this i see this can be expensive if this is my problem. any help or replys would be appreciated to the highest

thanks guys

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most likley the catalyst code comes when the truck shuts off while driving and it gets a bad reading. It seems like you have covered most of the usual suspects. Have you checked your fuel system? I would check all of your connections and grounds. I would also check the fuel pressure. Also is it possible that you might have a bad or worn ignition switch that is randomly shutting your truck off. I have seen that happen twice but not on a Dodge. New vehicles are hard to diagnose when they don't throw any codes that give us an idea of where to look for the problem. ...good luck

OP
OP
O

onebadbrink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
checked all of that and cant find anything. i forgot tot add that it will not restart until you turn the key back wait a second and then start. it will turn over start and shut right back off if you do not turn the key back.....

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That kinda sounds like a P.C.M. issue or something related. Have you taken it to the dealer to see if anything comes up on a scan?

OP
OP
O

onebadbrink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes. nothing no stored codes or nothing. really gets to me lol

JustMove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have you checked the throttle body for carbon? Check the MAP sensor in the intake? Or one of the two cam sensors on that motor?

Just suggestions, I had a durango with that motor and it has similar problems, fixed by a new MAP sensor (or MAF, I'm not sure which they used on that year). But that Durango is now toast after a bit of engine trouble involving the lifters.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi onebadbrink,

You might check the neutral safety switch to make sure it isn't flaking out on you. Had the same thing happen on a 71 Sport Fury Gran Sport.
Just an idea.

preachp

OP
OP
O

onebadbrink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MAF was the first thing that came to mind. I cannot to save my life find a map sensor on this engine, its the new 310hp motor. i have throuhly cleaned the throttle body there is no maf sensor. everything is electronic and i hate that lol.
thought maybe the asd (automatic shutdown) relay but dont believe the truck has one

checked the neutral safety switch and its good

thanks for all the feedback its greatly appreciated

mitey22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have any sort of alarm on the truck

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is MAF sensor on the 4.7L. The MAP sensor is located to the centre front of the intake manifold right inline and above the crankshaft pulley.

Wiring is really a issue with our trucks. They go very brittle and tend to break in places unknown to sunlight. Check the Anti-Theft sentry module and the PCM harnesses. Look for signs of corrosion, clean all the contacts and reseat with some dielectric grease to prevent further damage.

I have also seen cases where the PCM board will crack and break a circuit pathway. This can definitely lead to some intermittent connectivity issues of the like.

Hope this helps