Spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rabbie303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I finally was able to change the plugs in my 2003 1500 5.7

I would like to thank the asswagons at Dodge for making the driver side so horrible to do. I got it done, but it sucked after 4-5 hours (including oil change and a few things happening to delay the process)

Anyway, lets hope I don't have to replace all 16 again anytime soon...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Sorry, I don't understand the problem. I change mine without issue in an hour or so using a single socket I bought at the local auto parts store. It has a swivel built into it and a magnet to hold the plug. It fits all 16 plugs. I have a thick towel thrown over the radiator and use a box I built for standing or sitting on while working on different stuff.

opy6.jpg

Better luck next round

OP
OP
R

rabbie303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, this was my first time since I got the truck. And I had a small issue of one of the sockets getting stuck down in the hole as the plug went past the rubber part and I couldn't attach the extension to it. Took forever to get out and ended up using one of those super magnets to pull it out. Your tool you have would have been awesome to have, RedTruck-VA. Either way, I'm sure the next time will end up being fast. First time is always fun.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Well, this was my first time since I got the truck. And I had a small issue of one of the sockets getting stuck down in the hole as the plug went past the rubber part and I couldn't attach the extension to it. Took forever to get out and ended up using one of those super magnets to pull it out. Your tool you have would have been awesome to have, RedTruck-VA. Either way, I'm sure the next time will end up being fast. First time is always fun.

I had a similar problem when I was changing valve springs. The first hole I screwed my air adaptor into, the tool stuck and the hose unscrewed from the adaptor leaving it tight in the hole. Had to make a special tool I drove into the adaptor using some light taps with a hammer. Finally got enough bite to unscrew the sucker. You can bet that didn't happen twice.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Personally, I found the drivers side to be easier than the passenger side. Tore a coil boot on one plug and the back 4 plugs seemed to have been installed without anti-seize compound. These were the original plugs that I replaced at 60,000 miles. The original owner didn't change, or have the plugs changed at 30K as is recommended by Dodge.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Personally, I found the drivers side to be easier than the passenger side. Tore a coil boot on one plug and the back 4 plugs seemed to have been installed without anti-seize compound. These were the original plugs that I replaced at 60,000 miles. The original owner didn't change, or have the plugs changed at 30K as is recommended by Dodge.

Same crap happened to me as well on my truck. Got to 60K and started going through fluids and spark plugs on my truck. Nothing had changed but the oil (I hope!!) on the truck so I ripped off one of my coil packs all the way in the back passenger side. Had to use a needle nose pliers to get it off and the first three attempts just ripped the rubber away. Fourth time it lucky came off but I was crappin' my pants with almost ripping all the rubber off and still not having it out.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am pretty certain they don't use anti-seize and bank on fact people will change them every 30k as they recommend. I did my dads at about 80k (I think it was) and it was fine but I was worried at first. If you move the hoses and things that are in the way that helps too. I use two extensions and put them in in pieces.

$miley

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty sure mine were stock ones at 100k. Theyre tight in there. Had to use my 18" ratchet and gently loosen it. I was scared as F lol.