Strange Brake problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
2003 Dodge 3500 4 wheel ext cab, Cummins. Replaced the battery on drivers side. During process the hot lead arced across the brake lines at the master cylinder. No fuses blown, no indicator lights and nothing on the obd. However, the brake pedal is at half staff at best, very soft. The truck will drive, and will stop, but the pedal is very noticeable that something is wrong.

I spoke with a tech at the local dodge dealership who is the " Truck Man " and he told me that this was something he had never heard of and that he didn't have a clue as to where to look,...... " maybe you just ought to bring it in......."

This vehicle has approx. 140,000 miles and is in very good condition, garage kept. This problem has me stumped as it's not covered in the Chiltons I have either....... Any suggestions, other than taking it to the dealership?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe do a brake bleed? If it arced on there, the temp could have caused some bubbles possibly? I am by no means an expert or even one to quote, but I'm just guessing here. A free assessment is better than a dealer trip. If you live near a harbor freight, pick up their pneumatic brake bleeder ($24ish). Works great and you can do it alone. I recommend putting some grease around the bleeder before you put the black attachment on there otherwise it sometimes won't get a great seal.

OP
OP
T

Thump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
usaf2006.... I want to thank you for your time and consideration.... I discovered the problem..... My Bad..... anyway, this plagued me for a couple of days until day before yesterday..... I was looking and smelled the aroma of brake fluid.... to make the story brief,.... the brake line 52010305AB fwd most line on master cylinder, was leaking from the point of arc. Real small leak and real small burn mark, over looked several times... Anyway the label on the brake line was the pn # for the other brake line 52010304AB Mis labeled. I purchased both lines to make sure correct one in hand. Reinstalled brake line and was told by the dealership they would hook this baby up to the computer and bleed the system, ( because it should be done this way due to ABS..... ) I guess....I'll get half hour charge...for diagnosis.... then I'll be off and running.

Lesson learned here AGAIN....!! I have one of these brake pressure bleeders that is similar to a weed sprayer pump action, works well, however I need to get new hoses.. the brake fluid isn't rubber friendly I discovered.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope this might help someone in the future who might run upon the same type of situation.....

AF eh? Me too.... 25 yrs DoD. Congrats. Thanks for Serving..... :favorites13: