Stuck Piñon nut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm in the process of rebuilding my rear and upgrade to an 4:10;1 rear but I've encountered an road block. The piñon nut woulnt brake free with the impact I have. From what I can see is that it's right hand thread. Any ideas of how to get the nut off?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rent or buy a stronger impact wrench... What is the current torque rating of your impact? Is it pneumatic? If so, do you have the pressure regulated high enough? Do you oil the wrench?

If electric, that would be your problem.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Block the wheels and a long breaker bar maybe. If you have already taken everything else apart, you need a bigger gun. That is likely the only thing that will get it off. Make sure you are not using an adapter or extension or anything like they. They reduce torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
500 foot pounds, it's puematic and it's at max operating pressure

500 isn't even enough to break an axle nut. You need 750+ to get that off (still could not be enough). You can do breaker bar with the parking brake on, and wheels blocked.

I had to get a 750+ in order to break my hub nut on my Jeep axle when I broke a u-joint. 500 wouldn't do anything but sit there and laugh at me.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
You are going to need a tool bolted to the companion flange to crush the new sleeve when putting it back together. Sounds like you need to have it install to break loose the nut. Putting mine back together I needed a long bar and a strong back to get mine crushed.
I made my tool out of a piece of 3" angle iron cut out and drilled so it bolts to the flange. It is about 8 inches long with a 3/4" rod welded to it, the rod sticks out about 4 inches. I slide a 3 foot pipe over the rod and lock it up in the spring.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are going to need a tool bolted to the companion flange to crush the new sleeve when putting it back together. Sounds like you need to have it install to break loose the nut. Putting mine back together I needed a long bar and a strong back to get mine crushed.
I made my tool out of a piece of 3" angle iron cut out and drilled so it bolts to the flange. It is about 8 inches long with a 3/4" rod welded to it, the rod sticks out about 4 inches. I slide a 3 foot pipe over the rod and lock it up in the spring.

This my friend is exactly why I'm going to go with a crush sleeve eliminator when I do mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye