Three Complete Transmission Failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DONMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Three transmission failures: 2008 Dodge RAM 2500 Mega Cab 4x4. I have three transmission failures in past four months. I'm towing a 8,000 lb. trailer on mostly flat terrain. Last transmission is new from Dodge and it completely failed in 400 miles. Seems to shift OK in forward speeds but then going to reverse and backing less than 150 feet has a burned smell and will not move forward or reverse.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, that's not good.

They shouldn't fail under that load so you may have just had the bad luck of getting one that was bad at the start.

Who is doing the install of these transmissions?

OP
OP
D

DONMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well, that's not good.

They shouldn't fail under that load so you may have just had the bad luck of getting one that was bad at the start.

Who is doing the install of these transmissions?

First was original equipment and failed at 90,000. Second was rebuilt by local shop who has a good reputation. Third was Dodge factory and installed by a Dodge dealer. This morning I checked fluid and it's a nice pink with no smell. Possible cause overheating but it has the factory tow package and not taking into mountains or bad hills. No 'Check Engine Light' but thought have dealer check if any error code?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The dealer, with their scan tool, can go deeper into the Transmission Control Module, to scan for codes too.

There's warranty on that third transmission, right?

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Guess my first thought, after repeated failures, would be a cooler restriction. Should have been checked or possible a replacement mandated at the time, so as not to void the warranty.

OP
OP
D

DONMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Guess my first thought, after repeated failures, would be a cooler restriction. Should have been checked or possible a replacement mandated at the time, so as not to void the warranty.

Yep, latest (new Dodge transmission) is warranted for 30 mos/100K miles. I'm also leaning toward the transmission cooler. As far as I know that was never checked at any failure. Can I start the engine and disconnect the output side of the cooler to see if there is flow? I know it's gonna make a mess but that is the only way I know to check if restricted. How about a good after-market cooler? Any suggestions?

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No need to get an aftermarket cooler. Just find a cooler off a 1-ton truck (26 row I believe?) and install it. That's what I did on my 1500...works great.

And yes, you could disconnect the output line to check for flow.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No need to get an aftermarket cooler. Just find a cooler off a 1-ton truck (26 row I believe?) and install it. That's what I did on my 1500...works great.

And yes, you could disconnect the output line to check for flow.

^^This. A deep pan with cooling fins wouldn't hurt either.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If the cooler was restricted or the trans overheated, the fluid would be nearly brown or black, not pink or red.

What you should be looking for is with a white rag, gray streaks on your rag. I bet you've got clutch material in your lines n stuff and it's clogging up your filters and thereby starving your trans of fluid.

Have any of them dropped the pans on any of theses transmissions to try and determine cause of failure? Because lemme tell ya, I've known 2nd gen Ram transmissions to last longer than what you've got going for you here.

I would also advise you do some sort of line pressure mod, shift kit, and a BIG cooler and to bypass the radiator cooler if you have one.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I second DD94....bypass the radiator cooler. And add aftermarket cooler and id put an electric fan on it too.

After like 1000 miles the fluid and filter should be changed cause of the break in process.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I second DD94....bypass the radiator cooler. And add aftermarket cooler and id put an electric fan on it too.

After like 1000 miles the fluid and filter should be changed cause of the break in process.

Trans coolers on these trucks aren't integral to the rad, they're separate. I'd definitely check the tubing in between. The big one up front is the oem 1 ton cooler I put in.

DSC01036.jpg~original

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Trans coolers on these trucks aren't integral to the rad, they're separate. I'd definitely check the tubing in between. The big one up front is the oem 1 ton cooler I put in.

DSC01036.jpg~original

Gotcha. I couldn't remember if they had the radiator heater or not.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360

DSC01036.jpg~original
Oh ok.....I couldn't remember if they still had them integrated in the radiator or not lol my bad.....in still do the electric fan tho

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the trans went bad and they did not reverse flush or replace the trans cooler they just put destructive gunk into the new trans. If you pull regular install the factory trans cooler from a 06 1 ton auto CTD its twice the size of your hemi cooler and since your pulling it will double the life of the fluid and change your filters yearly or 20,000 miles. You are using the tow haul right? and keeping speed @ 55mph

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If a "quick learn" is not being done prior to driving after each install it could cause excessive heat due to the clutches not being fully engaged. Along this same line of thought, if the PCM/TCM has a fault it can cause trans failures mostly due to low line pressure.. Good luck..