Tranny Limp Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chillrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys, new to forum and am looking for some good advice:)
2008 Ram 5.7 Hemi 4x4 Big horn 80000km
Started it up the other day and it had very little torque forward or reverse, No TDC codes. Felt like the parking brake was on or maybe starting out in a higher gear. Checked parking brake and disconnected the battery for a half a minute(is that enough?). No change. I drove it to a repair shop but they were closed, at that point I started it up and it was normal, had enough torque to chirp tires etc.

I have driven it 300km since then towing a trailer home (with fingers crossed entire way) and it is operating normal.

What action(s) should I take to be proactive? I'm thinking a trip to the transmission shop is in order for a fluid and filter change, last one done at 50000km. Have read about shift solenoid issues but these are usually accompanied by DTC?

Any advice?

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Happened to my 04 once. Went into limp mode or something and wouldn't rev past 3k rpm. When I was able to park it and shut it off for a bit and then drive it again, no more problem. Hasn't happened since. If your truck has been fine since, don't worry about it.

Disconnect the positive cable and ground it to the negative post for at least a minute to reset the PCM. I usually leave it for several minutes to make sure.

OP
OP
C

chillrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trans shop dropped the pan and the filter had come off. Apparently something I did wrong 30000km ago just now manifested. Flushed system and replaced filter, test drove and all seems well. There has been wear caused by this but it is undetermined how much.
Dodged a bullet?:naughty: