Truck threw a code today, need some help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mopar6spd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So after 40k miles my truck threw its first code at me...

P0038

Code reads "HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2"

What's this noise all about? Anyone been up this road before?

I'm assuming 02 sensors could be a possible fix but I'm not about to go buy new sensors without knowing the actual problem.

Any thoughts/comments?

Much Appreciated!!

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
So after 40k miles my truck threw its first code at me...

P0038

Code reads "HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2"

What's this noise all about? Anyone been up this road before?

I'm assuming 02 sensors could be a possible fix but I'm not about to go buy new sensors without knowing the actual problem.

Any thoughts/comments?

Much Appreciated!!

Most likely it is in need of a new o2 sensor, without actually hooking it up to a scanner and reading sensor voltage you can't be 100% certain though. I'd just replace it, I'm about 95% sure that will fix your issue and don't forget to clear the code.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Agree, These things happen with the 02 sensors, especially when they get hot from long trips or excessive idling, not cheap though, just bought one for the 03 ($95) to confirm that the one I already had was still good (now got a spare), I added a **** to mine to solve my particular issue however only one cat on my set-up. It is possible when the PCM cycles itself in a few days that the light will go out as well, then if it comes back again later you replace it!

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
well, it should be the downstream O2 sensor being sensor 2 right? That would make it after the cat...maybe crawl under there and look for any bad or torn wires...if not it could have shorted in the sensor itself...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Number 2 sensor is the after sensor. I have read there is a way to measure the resistance to tell if it is good or not. Maybe someone has the testing information.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Im guessing you used a tool to pull the code unless you did the dash trick. Try erasing the code and see if it trips again. My truck will throw a code from time to time but takes it bout a year to come back.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The o2 sensor on our trucks is a four wire version, power and ground for the heater element, a signal wire that sends the control voltage to the PCM and a wire that sends an error signal to the PCM. Maybe checking the electrical connection and reset the PCM to see if the error reoccurs.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Need to measure the Left Rear sensor. Needs to be between 2 & 30 ohms at 70 degrees and over 4.5 volts. Other wise it's a bad sensor.

Turn the ignition off.
NOTE: Allow the O2 Sensor to cool down to room temperature.
Disconnect the 1/2 O2 Sensor harness connector.
Measure the resistance across the O2 Sensor Heater element, between the Heater Control terminal and the Heater ground terminal at the component.

NOTE: O2 Heater Element resistance values should be measured at 70°F (21.1°C). The resistance value will vary with different temperature values.

Is the O2 Sensor Heater Element resistance between 2.0 and 30.0 ohms?

Turn the ignition off.
NOTE: Wait a minimum of 8 minutes to allow the O2 Sensor to cool down before continuing the test. Allow the O2 Sensor voltage to stabilize at 5.0 volts.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool, actuate the O2 Heater Test.
With a scan tool, monitor 2/1 O2 Sensor voltage for at least 2 minutes.
Does the O2 Sensor voltage stay above 4.5 volts?

**I've got the wiring diag for the sensor .. but it's to big to attach ... shoot me a PM w/ your email address and I'll send it to you if you'd like**

If it's good check your plugs.

Last edited:

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Need to measure the Left Rear sensor. Needs to be between 2 & 30 ohms at 70 degrees and over 4.5 volts. Other wise it's a bad sensor.

Turn the ignition off.
NOTE: Allow the O2 Sensor to cool down to room temperature.
Disconnect the 1/2 O2 Sensor harness connector.
Measure the resistance across the O2 Sensor Heater element, between the Heater Control terminal and the Heater ground terminal at the component.

NOTE: O2 Heater Element resistance values should be measured at 70°F (21.1°C). The resistance value will vary with different temperature values.

Is the O2 Sensor Heater Element resistance between 2.0 and 30.0 ohms?

Turn the ignition off.
NOTE: Wait a minimum of 8 minutes to allow the O2 Sensor to cool down before continuing the test. Allow the O2 Sensor voltage to stabilize at 5.0 volts.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool, actuate the O2 Heater Test.
With a scan tool, monitor 2/1 O2 Sensor voltage for at least 2 minutes.
Does the O2 Sensor voltage stay above 4.5 volts?

**I've got the wiring diag for the sensor .. but it's to big to attach ... shoot me a PM w/ your email address and I'll send it to you if you'd like**

If it's good check your plugs.

No way are you your common everyday house mom!! Your a chrysler mechanic, aren't you!! I couldn't even make up the stuff you just typed out!!lmao. Good job lilfroggy.:naughty::birgits_tiredcoffee:roflsquared:

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Come on .... I copy the **** from the service manual. I promise am not a mechanic of any kind. I do software support :)

OP
OP
M

mopar6spd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Haha thanks guys, i'll see what I can do today about it.

I guess if it's just an o2 sensor, It's not hurting anything driving as is right?

I'll let you know what I come up with.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Come on .... I copy the **** from the service manual. I promise am not a mechanic of any kind. I do software support :)
Ok I get it, lol Software, I have some hard- , oh nevermind, not that kind of forum
that's hot
Then again maybe it is? lol
Haha thanks guys, i'll see what I can do today about it.

I guess if it's just an o2 sensor, It's not hurting anything driving as is right?

I'll let you know what I come up with.

not till it dies op. Not till it dies.

OP
OP
M

mopar6spd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Interesting...

Fired it up today and the light magically turned off.

Oh well, i'll let it be for now.

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Hey man i just got done fight a p2097 code for bank1 running rich. I would go ahead a replace that 02 sensor if i were you. The 02 sensor has alot to do with the performance of the engine and will cause alot of issues down the road. I will recommend that you do not put a bosch 02 sensor in it. Bosch 02 sensor and dodge do not get along at all and what i have resceaeched amd found out to be the issuse is that the Bosch sensors heating element inside does not heat up a fast as factory ntk sensors or the denso sensor. I went with denso only because no one around my area had one in stock they alll had to order it including the dealer the wanted 130 for it as well. But ntk is stock and recommend you go with that. Hope that helped you out any also check the wiring harness as well. The denso sensor i went with i had to cut and reuse the connector of the old sensor which has not had amy effect to the its performance. Good luck

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Also bank 1 is going to be the side that the number one cylinder is on so make sure you are the correct side when replacing it or checking and yes the sensor 2 is post cat sensor 1 is pre cat. Sensor 2 tells the computer if it is running to rich or to lean and measure what is coming out of the cat