Truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lollygirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck was stolen from me and when I got it back it has been very difficult to start and once it starts, it runs very rough, it backfires, and it will keep dying on me until it gets warmed up. Once it is warmed up it will run fine but it will sometimes die when I brake or pull into a parking lot. That went on for about 2 weeks. But, in the last 3 days, my truck does not want to start at all. It will crank forever and every once in a while it will start and then instantly die. I can hear the fuel pump running, I have checked the fuses, and they all have been fine. But then the fuel pump relay and the engine something relay (can't remember exactly) are making a rapid clicking noise when the key is on. I am so frustrated because I finally got my truck back after 4 months and now i can't drive it already. I am pretty much on my own as far as fixing it, I know a little about vehicles but not diagnosing problems, and unfortunately too broke to put it in a shop. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

GzNutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Did they screw up your ignition when it was stolen? I would guess a shorting wire in the steering column or damaged ignition cylinder.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lollygirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a locksmith come make me new keys because the 2002 keys are chipped. The person who stole it was my mechanic and he had the keys so I don't think its that.

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
It sounds like a low battery and idle air control not working but that sounds like someone is going to have to look into wiring

OP
OP
L

lollygirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yesterday when looking at the truck, I noticed that some of my fuses were not getting power to them. #28-38 and #49 and 50. No power, but all the other ones have power.
Also, when I turn on my key, I hear the fuel pump working but it doesn't shut off. Is that normal?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your 02 keys are chipped? Surprising, my 03 keys aren't...

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I think I'd check all the vacuum hoses to make sure they are connected, too.