Very odd occurances.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
Truck was acting kinda weird this evening, so I'll try n spell it out the best I can so ya'll can pick it apart :D

It first started the other day, I had the left signal on, it was blinking, then it just stayed "stuck" with the light on (inside, not sure about the outside ones, of course). By the time I got to work I had forgotten about it, never thought of it again.....

Until tonight. Me and the wife were leaving the restaurant, I fired the truck up, soon as I put it in gear and started to pull off, I heard the "ding", and again. I thought it was maybe another brake light, so I tapped the brakes, nothing. I parked it again, hit the brakes, nada, right turn signal, worked, left signal, blinked real fast like a bulb was out. I get out, look, its the rear left blinker out. Upon leaving, I get a couple more random "dings", and thats it....

Heres the kicker. I get home and start going through the checklist... EVERYthing works!!! WTF?! Only weird thing this time was how loud the clicking sound was coming from the brake pedal. Im assuming its the little thing that the pedal hits to kick on the brakelights........? Any reason why that would be extra loud, or am I just now noticing it (after almost 3 years)?

I woulda been just fine if it was a bulb out. But Im really confused as to why it was out, then working fine. Same with the singals...... Any ideas/suggestions ?

FWIW, I haven't fooled with any wiring lately, except for changing my HID bulb, which was wired slightly differently from the original, but I doubt this is my problem....

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
Check those circuit boards, remove it completely and see how the sockets are and make sure they aren't rusty or oxidized

OP
OP

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
Grrr... I have the day off Thursday, guess I'll be doing some digging. I reckon I should hold off on installing the Hellas till Im sure aint nothing funky going on.... That was gonna be my Thursday chore haha

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a loose or corroded connection to me. Intermittent electrical problems are always the worst.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Bear this is common. I just went through this last year. You are lucky because you know which one is acting up. The socket on mine was intermitent and each time the connection broke I got he ding. I pulled the lens and bulb and the socket had some corrosion, I cleaned it up and installed a new bulb using some dielrctric grease. No problem since.

OP
OP

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
'Preciate the info fellas. I know what to look for now..... just gotta find the time to do it.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Its not to bad, two screws and the tail liight asm comes out and then its 3 or 4 phillips holding the board to the tail asm. Have you ever had toi pull it before? If not drop the tail gate, 2 screws on the side I believe there torx head, then gently pull straight back on the light because it has rubber **** that go into the bed then fallow the other steps mentioned.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
your truck is an 07, so it has the afterburner tails, so no circut boards there, bulb could be loose in the socket, or the bulb could be going out, or just a little corrosion on the wiring could be causing this, best thing to do is have someone push the brake while you wiggle the bulb in the socket and see what you can come up with it, did this on my dads truck to find out one little plastic clip that holds the bulb in had gone bad, also bulbs as they start to go out will loose function a little bit before they finally die, so buy a new bulb just in case since they are what 2$ and then go back there and start checking and cleaning anything that needs it...

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
^ Good catch I forgot he was an 07 for some reason I thought he was an 05.... :Grenade:

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
yes good catch demon, i'd def get a new set of bulbs and some dielectric grease while your in there...

OP
OP

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
Well, I haven't gotten to poking around anywhere yet, but I haven't had anymore problems either. I had to replace the tail light bulb a couple months ago, the same one thats acting funky now, so I'm familiar with taking it out, and I have the other spare in the glovebox ;)

Thanks again guys!