Where is the EGR on the 4.7L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm guessing it does have one. Where would it be located on my 2006 Ram 4.7? Have there been any problems with them on these engines?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
they go out and you will know it . cheap to swap out and easy . some try to clean them . if i recall its on the passenger side of the engine . but its been a while since i had a EGR on a truck .

asasial

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
POS 4.7
i'm had the top end off my 4.7 several times. and had never thought about it. but i have never seen an egr on it.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
You bet you've got an EGR on that 4.7.

DESCRIPTION
4.7L Engine
The electronic EGR valve and solenoid assembly (3) is attached to the rear of the left cylinder head. An exhaust gas routing tube (1) connects the EGR valve to the intake manifold.

REMOVAL
4.7L
The electronic EGR valve and solenoid assembly (4) is attached to the rear of the left cylinder head. An exhaust gas routing tube (3) connects the EGR valve to the intake manifold.
1. Remove electrical connector (5) at top of EGR valve solenoid.
2. Remove tube mounting bolt (1) at intake manifold.
3. Remove two bolts (4) connecting EGR tube (1) to valve assembly.
4. Remove gasket located between EGR tube flange and EGR valve assembly.
5. Remove two EGR valve mounting bolts (5).
6. Separate valve assembly (3) from engine.
7. Remove and discard metal gasket located between cylinder head and valve assembly.

INSTALLATION
4.7L
1. Clean area at rear of left cylinder head where it joins base of EGR valve.
2. Clean EGR tube where it joins EGR valve.
3. Position new gasket between EGR valve and cylinder head.
4. Position EGR valve to cylinder head. Install and tighten two bolts (5) to 20 ft.lbs. (27 N·m).
5. Position new gasket between EGR tube flange and EGR valve assembly.
6. Position EGR tube (1) to side of EGR valve and into intake manifold. Install two bolts (4) finger tight (temporarily).
7. Install EGR tube flange bolt (1) at intake manifold. Tighten bolt to 20 ft.lbs. (27 N·m).
8. Connect electrical connector (5) to top of EGR valve solenoid (2).
9. Do a final tightening of two EGR tube bolts (4) to 20 ft.lbs. (27 N·m).

install step 9 image.jpg

install_step 1_6 image.jpg

install_step 7_8 image.jpg

overview image.jpg

removal_step 1_2 image.jpg

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Just need to upload the other image for the above

Attachments

• removal_step 3_7 image.jpg
    removal_step 3_7 image.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 635

WVRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
How do I get back there to it?!?!

I have the same problem. I had a P0404 and everything I found online showed the EGR valve on the front of the engine by the air filter box. So I got the part, lifted the hood, and where the hell is the EGR valve?!?!?! So I found this post and from the diagram I (think) I found the valve, but I can't even get my hand back there. How do I take it off and install a new one?

Curtis86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I just had to do mine the other day. Take the whole air filter assembly off and you basically have to use your hands and feel for the bolts it’s a pain in the ass to do. It only took me about 1.5hrs to remove and install the hardest part is reinstalling it. From my experience there’s really no easy way to do it on our 4.7. I uploaded 2 photos for you the copper pipe goes into the side of the egr valve. I’d offer to help since I’ve just did mine but I’m sure you aren’t close to me lol

2D07561D-EE91-4B1C-8CB7-30F642F3F70B.jpeg

BEB1DEF1-9184-48EE-B8B3-F4A0ED2D324D.jpeg

Chaz_Sliger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Can't find the EGR valve on a 2004 Ram 1500 4.7L
On this truck, the casting connecting the inlet to the intake mainfold has a detent molded into it where Curtis86 has the EGR valve circled in his photo. There is no EGR valve, electrical harness, or pipe from the exhaust manifold in this area. The detent molded into the casting has not been bored out. It looks like they changed their mind about mounting the EGR in that location, but I'm damned if I can find where they moved it to. Any help appreciated.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Look on the left side near the fire wall its that close and you will find it.That thing would make you have to go to church 6 times a day and ask the lord to forgive you.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I Just did this job this weekend. First, thank you member Lilfroger for the diagrams, they really helped. Second, this job sucks; my right side is busted up from laying on the engine, doing everything with my right hand and face planted into the hood's weatherstripping. It helps to remove the hoses / electrical connections to the throttle body, so I just pulled that and cleaned it too. Remove the brake booster vacuum line. Removing the EGR valve isn't that hard but make sure to scrape the old gasket off. For the new one, I bolted the 13MLs to the manifold...and if you drop one that doesn't make its way to the floor, they are M8-1.25 30mm. The side connection, with the 8mm bolts, took the longest, trying to get the furthest one started because that pipe curves out and your hand pushes it as you try to start it. I finally figure that you can finagle your left hand in there enough to hold that pipe still at the top and start that bolt.

SD4019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 4.7
Can't find the EGR valve on a 2004 Ram 1500 4.7L
On this truck, the casting connecting the inlet to the intake mainfold has a detent molded into it where Curtis86 has the EGR valve circled in his photo. There is no EGR valve, electrical harness, or pipe from the exhaust manifold in this area. The detent molded into the casting has not been bored out. It looks like they changed their mind about mounting the EGR in that location, but I'm damned if I can find where they moved it to. Any help appreciated.

SD4019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 4.7
Did you ever find the egr? I went to parts store and neither autozone or oriellys carry them for my truck. They have gaskets but not the part. I have an 04’ with 4.7.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That was a year ago on a two year old thread lol

cjkb999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could anyone help me out I need to replace mine I’m getting a P1404 code. I have a 2012 ram 1500 4.7, can’t seem to find where it’s located any help is appreciated. Thanks!