Why do I feel like my Hemi doesn't run like a Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is stock as far as performance. well actually I got a stupid lil chip called Volo Chip. For awhile, I have felt like my truck just does not run as it should. On the expressway getting on it feels like it struggling going up there and catch the speed of the other drivers. Sometimes it feels like it stalls. And sometimes I have to press my pedal way more than normal.

Now this is similar but not the same. When I floor it, my truck says "Check Gauges" in red and makes a beeping sound. So I can't really race :/

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Sounds like the tb is in dire need of cleaning, How are the plugs?

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something is definitely not right. Usually when it says "Check Gauges", one of the gauges either goes into the red or drops down too low.

Try taking out the Volochip and reset your computer(PCM) by disconnecting the positive cable and grounding it out. Try recalibrating the TPS. you can do this by turning on the ignition but dont crank the truck. Press the gas pedal to the floor slowly as possible then slowly release the pedal. This should recalibrate the TPS. Test drive the truck and see if runs any better. You can also try cleaning the throttle body. You will want to remove it from the intake before doing this. These are just some things to try. Maybe someone will pop in with more info. good luck.

Last edited:

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
ahh great point. reset the pcm might actually fix it all together.

pull the pcm fuse, get in and buckle up, move key to on (dont start) then off, on, off, on, off (3 times total), on and you should hear ding....ding ding. unbuckle, put the pcm fuse back in and you're done.

or just remove the negative battery cable for 10 minutes or so

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a check gauges light, did you look at your gauges? Were you overheating? Voltage drop?

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Woah thanks for all the responses and ideas guys. One bad thing is I have no idea about mechanical stuff, so i'm pretty confused. sorry guys. I probably sound like an idiot

Last edited:

BigMike005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well to rest you pcm all you need to to is locate you battery, so look for the hood release it should be located under your driver side dash, then pop your hood...battery on the right side if ur looking at the engine, disconnect neg- and pos+ battery terminals, touch them together for like 3 seconds and ur done...oh dont forget to connect the terminals

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
oh ok thats simple. So by reseting the PCM it might fix the problem?

BigMike005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It might. our trucks sometimes need to get rest b/c they tend to get accustomed to the way we drive.

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see. Maybe that'll help my mpg because right now im getting like 10 mpg.

BigMike005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dam, try it all your doing is wiping the pcm clean and starting from scratch like factory new. It should help, what tune up did you do?

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
take the volo thing off and do the pcm reset. there are about 10 different ways so just pick one listed. i do mine every oil change. get a free flow exhaust of your choice and a cia. BFE and vara ram can back their numbers up. look around for what you like but asking us is like asking what the best color ram is. we all know its black but there are a few who live in doubt. these guys are experts in the performance area so feel free to ask for advice or tech support. also check the faqs to see if you get any ideas. good luck --mike

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ha well im gonna try this now. should i also recalibrate the TPS? The tuneup included changing the air filter, spark plugs, plug wires, oil, (oil filter wasn't changed because mechanic said its in the fuel tank so it doesn't really get dirty). There's different type's of tuneups?

BigMike005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well i would have to agree to disagree with okla...mineral grey is the best color......